We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuta Lombok

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
59 reviews
Kuta Lombok

Hi there. Can anyone recommend what outings I can do with my kids? We are staying at Kuta and was thinking maybe the waterfall. How far is it? and what else could we do. Would a trip over to Sengigi be worth it? How long would it take by car? Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
60 reviews
1. Re: Kuta Lombok

Close by to Kuta you could go to Serenting beach. it is very safe for swimming as flat and doesn't get too deep. At low tide you can find crabs, star fish, sea cucumbers and other creatures in the shallows. Head to the right hand side as you look out to sea, near the rocks.

Tanjung Aan is another beach about 5km east of Kuta. Don't go to the main car park area - turn right before you get there down a sand road. There are signs for warung turtle and warung sama sama. Turtle is the last one at the end of the track. It is a lovely place with nice people, simple but good food. There are sunbeds and umbrellas which are free to use if you eat there. From here you can take a walk up over the headland and get some great views and find other little beaches.

You mention "the water fall" the closest to Kuta is Benang Stokel which is about 2 hours away. You can do that as part of a day trip and take in some other sights like Narmada water Palace and Suranadi temple.

We just had a day out to Pink Beach in East Lombok which was beautiful. Try to find a driver with a 4WD if you decide to go there. Its a 2 hour drive the last 10kms are very bad road and the last stretch off road. we did it ok in our car which is not 4WD but I wouldn't do it again in ours. The sand here has red grains mixed in which gives the sand a pink hue.the sea is very calm and you have Rinjani as a back drop. You can take a boat out around the bay for Rp100,000. Take a picnic if you do go here as there are no warungs or sellers.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Kuta Lombok

The road into Benang Stokel is (apparently) still awaiting repair arising from damage early in the wet season.

It is a nice trip into there and the scenery from the road is worthwhile, however a lot of the drivers may be concerned about vehicle damage, passenger discomfort and an extended transit time.

Lombok_Lover's husband Made does day trips in the South and has a good reputation for his outings.

You could contact Gemma direct about that if you wished to explore some local day trip options.

Gemma, if you hear anything about the road into the waterfall getting fixed up then please post the info, last i heard it was still 'damaged'.

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
60 reviews
3. Re: Kuta Lombok

I havent been to Benang Stokel since last year. Made is still taking guests there and says the road is very bad but he is happy doing it. Maybe I would be less happy if I saw the road conditions at the moment. I certainly do not want our car doing regular trips to Pink Beach having seen the conditions to get there this week.

sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
59 reviews
4. Re: Kuta Lombok

Thankyou J_Hercules and Lombok_Lover. How far is the drive from Novotel to Sengigi and is it worth making a day trip there? IS this the same damaged road you are talking about that takes you to Sengigi?

Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Kuta Lombok

I think the drive from the Novotel to Senggigi is one and a half to two hours but I'm happy to be corrected by Lombok Lover or J-Hercules . The road between the two places is fine and you should have a pleasant drive. A few years ago we were staying in Senggigi and did a day trip to Kuta and it was well worth it as we decided to stay in Kuta on our next trip. We are staying in both Kuta and Senggigi later this year. I hope you have a lovely trip teamcurlcurl. We were actually thinking of having a day trp to Gili Nanggu and were wondering whether it would be best to organise it from Senggigi or Kuta. Thought I would mention this in case one of the Lombok experts see it.

Edited: 4:39 am, March 29, 2013
sydney
Level Contributor
46 posts
59 reviews
6. Re: Kuta Lombok

Thanks Sonjii. Hope you have a great trip too and sounds like we should look into gili Nanggu as well.

Lombok
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: Kuta Lombok

I take 2 hours to get from Kuta to Senggigi but I may drive slower than others. The road is good all the way through. Just some traffic as you pass through the outskirts of Mataram. Personally I would say it is worth coming to Kuta from Senggigi for a day trip but maybe not the other way around. The beaches around Kuta are much nicer. There are more shops and restaurants in Senggigi but I think maybe better if you want to see Senggigi make it a stop on a day trip. Maybe head north through the inland road and see the monkey forest, back down along the coastal road which has some great panoramic views, lunch in Senggigi - then head back to Kuta Via Selong Belanak and Mawun - now the road between SB & Kuta has been fixed it is also a very picturesque drive.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
39 reviews
8. Re: Kuta Lombok

Sonjii, I have done the Gili Nanggu day trip a few times from Senggigi but not Kuta. There are a couple of ways you can go

- charter a boat from Senggigi/Mangsit to take you there - the boat will follow the coast toward Ampenan and then cross over the Gili Nanggu. It takes about an hour or two (can't recall exactly how long but a fair bit further than going to the other Gilis in the opposite direction). If you like boat trips it can be quite pleasant.

- hire a car to take you to Seketong and then charter a boat across to Gili Nanggu. The car trip is about an hour and the boat trip another 15-20 minutes.

I always enjoy Gili Nanggu, it has nice shade trees on the beach and is kept clean. If there is any rubbish in the water it is what is on the tide anywhere in the area coming from Lombok and Bali or further.

There is some nice snorkelling straight off the beach. There is one accommodation place there that has a cafe, unfortunately the cafe has never been much chop but it is the only one so unless you bring a picnic lunch, or buy nasi bungkus in Sekotong, you are stuck for choice.

If you have chartered a boat you should be able to get them to also take you around some of the other small islands in the area, see the fishing houses over the water, etc. Also worth doing.

Enjoy your trip :)

Edited: 10:26 am, March 29, 2013
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
9. Re: Kuta Lombok

Hi Sonjji, there are not many comments on Nanggu here on the forums, however this recent one might offer some further encouragement... tripadvisor.com/…48018699

Sudiah has summed it up well above.

Level Contributor
394 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Kuta Lombok

Thanks very much for your replies Sudiah and j_hurcules. I love the idea of the boat trip from Senggigi although unfortunately I am a fair weather sailor so fingers crossed for calm waters when we're there at the end of June. Thanks for the link Hercules, I have read the positive comments from the many satisfied Eko customers and had been considering using his services too. I think I should email him from home before we leave as he seems to be very popular. Thanks again for your help Sudiah and j_hurcules