We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Just trying to organise our last flight within Indonesia. We intend to have our last 4 nights in Yogyakarta and prior to this fly from our 7nt stay on LOmbok.

Here in the UK have been trying to book our flight Lombok to Yogyakarta 25th May online. Apart from some lengthy flight combinations or an expensive Garuda flight the most obvious carrier is LionAIr. Previous availibility is getting lower, perhaps as a Saturday flight its high demand. I have found a combo of Lombok to Surabaya in the morning and a 2hr wait for the connection to Yogyakarta. Yet I have tried 3 times with different credit cards but their system says its not been able to validate them all at the last minute.

I am getting anxious about how to come up with a solution or an alternative strategy. Any advice gratefully received

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Some domestic flights are hard to book with an international credit card. I would try Mau Ke Mana - http://flights.indonesiamatters.com/

I have never used them personally but I recommend them to guests having problems booking and none have had any problems.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Don't worry if you get stuck in Lombok, that happened to me quite a few years ago, and I am still here.

It's OK really, after a while you just get used to it and I have stopped waving at overflying aircraft now and have let the signal fire die out. :)

UK issued cards often do seem to be problematic with LionAir.

Many people from the UK have complained about this.

Your best alternatives may be through Surabaya, at least there are a good number of flights from Lombok to Surabaya.

Follow Lombok_Lovers suggestion, or if that does not work out then use Bidy Tour.

They are a Lombok based IATA certified travel agent.

Their commissions are modest and they are familiar with arranging payment by credit card via an email authority.

The Indonesian banks demand a copy of you passport and credit card (front and back). They will also likely ask for a scan of a signed 'authority' to debit.

http://bidytour-lombok.com

info@bidytour-lombok.com

bidytour@indo.net.id

bibytoursenggigi@yahoo.com

IATA Member No. Code 15-302092

PT.Bidy tours and travel

Jl.Ragigenep 17, Ampenan, Lombok – 83114

Phone: + 62 370 632127, + 62 370 634095

Fax: + 62 370 631821, + 62 370 637307

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

If it is a Wings operated flight (4 numbers in the flight number) then the aircraft will be a nice new ATR72-500 or 600.

The LionAir/Wings LOP-SUB, the LOP-DPS, and the SUB-JOG flights use those ATR aircraft.

All those sectors have a 15kg baggage allowance and cabin bags are restricted in size (they are diverted to the hold) if too large for the more constrained overhead lockers on that aircraft.

Make sure you have anything of importance or that is very fragile in a smaller bag that you can be sure will not get sent off to the baggage hold when boarding the aircraft.

The Garuda DPS-JOG flights use 737-800NGs, and LionAir DPS-JOG use 737-900ERs or 737-800NGs.

They both have a 20kg baggage allowance.

Petty Harbour...
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Just (10 days ago) took the flight described, from Jogja to Lombok via Surabaya, Lion operating as Wings. The overhead compartments are pretty tiny, so they put our carry on in a small space where the stewardesses hang out, no problems at all. You will find that doing online check in with Lion can be buggy too, just keep trying. The 2 hour stop in the airport in Surabaya was quite pleasant too.

I would HIGHLY reccommend staying in the Phoenix Hotel in Jogja, it is absolutely fabulous, staff and food are brilliant, and it is not at all expensive. Be sure to do the sunrise trip to Borobudur (front desk will arrange it, it's only 600,000 rupiah). Spectacular, plus you're there with only about 20 other people instead of several thousand later in the day. Plus you're back at the hotel by 8 am, rather than wasting the better part of a day getting to Borobudur and back with the hordes.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
50 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

We used Bidytour last year to buy our tickets JOG-SUB-LOP ( the other way around ) with Wings air . They did a good job with it , commission was modest The only thing was Bidytour asked me to transfer the money from my bank account to theirs. My bank charged me more for the transaction as when Bidytour would have taken the 3% or 5% extra charge for the credit card use. So transferring from bank to bank was in this case a more expensive deal than using the credit card .

Singapore
Level Contributor
20 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

I've used www.travelindo.com for years for booking domestic flights in Indonesia. They accept payment via PayPal. I book 3-4 flights a month with them and there has never been a problem.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Best to avoid a bank2bank transfer, too slow in any case.

Also the charges applied by the sending bank (your bank) may be higher than the ticket itself.

Also if sending a non-Rupiah amount to a Rupiah account the receiving bank will apply a forex conversion, that rate may not be appropriate to the one prevailing at the 'value dated' time of the transaction causing confusion between the sender and the receiver.

Meanwhile both the sending bank and the receiving bank have helped themselves to quite generous fees.

A credit card transaction is also of course effected by your (card) issuing banks conversion rates and fees, however it is likely to be a lesser amount than a telegraphic transfer (bank2bank)

It is OK from an Indonesian bank to another Indonesian bank, generally the fees for that are OK.

However the currency rates applied, and the sending banks often absurdly high charges are a big disincentive for doing that with an international transfer.

Those transfers can take up to 7 days or so to resolve, the booking would no longer be valid and a different ticket price would likely apply.

Best to only pay by credit card so that it can be resolved quickly and expediently without a re-booking, that possibly giving rise to an entirely different ticket price.

Edited: 11:16 pm, March 06, 2013
8. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:24 pm, March 06, 2013
Edited: 11:24 pm, March 06, 2013
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Hi indoartsbali, how much to they add (commission) on to the ticket price?

I also note they do not list all the flights available, only some of them, for instance all the LionAir (Wings) flights are not showing, only 3 of them.

Although the Paypal payment options often involve a fairly considerable premium a lot of people do like using that system, so if the ticket sales commissions are reasonable this may appeal to some people.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
313 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help- are we going to be stranded in Lombok??

Thank you Lombok lover for your suggested agent.

We have got our tickets!

In the end we we went with the agent as we liked the website which had lots of support for the independent traveller, plus in the process of several emails back and forth they answered our questions giving us confidence that we were dealing with a reputable trader.

Our journey is from Lombok to Yogjakarta but because there are no direct flights will need two flight legs. The agent was able to provide us with one booking on Lion so I believe we can simply transit in Surabaya (and though minor only one departure tax not two). They also made the process straighforward with one amount in Sterling to be paid on the paypal link on their penultimate email (It still went through on a cc so i believe the 3-4%paypal charge which you would have to pay was all included. If you set up a bank account to a paypal account you can transfer money into it and this credit is used before a cc, so I suspect you could avoid the 4% surchage, You would have to talk to the agent, we were keen to avoid any further delays and get our reservations in so were happy to pay it. Next time I would consider looking into it more deeply)

Another agent quoted us for two tickets for each traveller with their commission charge of $15 per leg so that meant £60 which i believe is over the top, I believe we did better than this.

On a general note the inability of the airlines to accept online overseas cc is widespread and this process of going through a local agent is commonplace so if you are like us dont worry its normal and it does work. I still dont fully understand why its still like this and am surprised and not sure if the travel Guide books make their readers aware of this. I guess in a few years time systems and procedures will have been upgraded and it will be online as here in Europe.