We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

development in kuta lombok

Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
development in kuta lombok

I hear many things about (over)development plans for Kuta Lombok. Can anybody give me some good information about the current situation and upcomming plans for this year?

Is it still the pretty and quiet place Lonely planet wants me to believe or has development already started and is it better to go some place else?

Is it a good place to stay with 2 young children? We do NOT want to stay at any resort or luxery hotel, any simple place with aircon and maybe hot water would be fine. Are there any recomendations for nice hotels?

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: development in kuta lombok

Been there on Dec last year, and yes it's still quiet n tranquil place.

I've also seen the dev plan, but seems a long way to go. At least not this year (maybe).

A member of this forum, Lombok_Lover has an accommodation there.

Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: development in kuta lombok

ok thank you very much. Good to hear the plans still seem a long way to go.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: development in kuta lombok

There are 4 big resorts that are due to start development in April this year. Ritz Carlton, Club Med and 2 others. Though I am not sure of the exact locations what I have heard is this will be at Tanjung Aan and also close to the exisitng Novotel. There is a new access road being built near Novotel so this seems likely.

The new art market looks complete now and we have heard it will be operational in March. I haven't heard when the beachfront warungs will be knocked down but I would imagine soon - as they are expected to move to the new market.

Development is definitely coming sooner rather than later but I wouldn't put off a visit to Kuta because of it this year.

Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: development in kuta lombok

Lombok Lover, Thanks a lot.

Maybe could you reccomend some nice accomodation? A sort of bungalow or guesthouse with a garden would be nice so that we can sit outside of our room and the kids can play around a bit.

Do you know whether we should take anti malria pills? We like to travel around the island a bit so we won't be in kuta al the time.

Thank you very much for your help

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: development in kuta lombok

Tanjung Aan is a cool place, great to go. Nice to hear that accommodation brands will setup their properties there. Hope they fix the road very soon.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
2,895 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: development in kuta lombok

As you are after a/c, I'd look at Yulis homestay. Lombok_Lover has a very nice homestay (Mimpi Manis) but it doesn't have a/c. It does however have a nice upstairs/downstairs small house that is great for a family and a garden outside - although it is 2 kms back from the beach on the approach to Kuta.

Also you could look at Rinjani which is a hotel. Or Kuta Bay cottages, another smaller place near the markets in Kuta with some a/c rooms and owned by another one of our TA members.

Definitely get to Kuta before it changes. It will be so sad once it's gone forever. It will become something else which I'm sure will be enjoyable in it's own way, but for those that like the little quiet place it currently is, it will be missed.

Edited: 10:48 am, February 13, 2013
Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: development in kuta lombok

I haven't personally known anyone to get sick from malaria here for several years. When I was first here 15 years ago it was a big problem. I am not saying it isn't here though. We don't take any anti malarials and most of our guests appear not to. Dengue is the other one to consider. I got Dengue about 4 years ago and an Australian girl got it here about a year ago. There is nothing you can take against dengue so the best is to try and avoid being bitten.

Lombok
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: development in kuta lombok

Another new hotel with Aircon and a nice garden is Family Hotel.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: development in kuta lombok

There is no apparent Malarial disease vector on Lombok at this time and there has been none apparent for quite some time now.

Of course the potential is always there due to the environmental circumstances of the region.

You may prefer to reserve your options on Malarial prophylaxis and save yourself both the cost and health burdens involved with using one of the indicated medications.

There is no prophylaxis medication or vaccination available for Dengue.

These forums have a lot of detailed information on DF avoidance.

It is potentially an issue at this time of year, however it is not apparent at this time.

Use repellants day and night.

The Aedes mosquito is the transmission vector for DF, it operates in daylight hours and the mosquito must first encounter an infective human, become infective themselves, then they may pass it on to another human.

The Aedes mosquito has a short life cycle and this assists in self-limitation of infection. However sometimes there is an 'outbreak'.

This occurs when there is a sufficient number of active infections and a sufficient number of mosquitoes available for transmission.

Bali appears to have had that issue over the last year in some areas of that island, Lombok has pretty much escaped it other than some limited infections several months ago in a section of the islands main city of Mataram.

Just use Autan (non-DEET), Soffel (DEET) or generous and frequent applications of Minyak Sereh (Citronella oil).

Have a nice holiday, Kuta is a great destination.

Edited: 1:20 am, February 14, 2013
Amersfoort, The...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: development in kuta lombok

Thank a lot for al your answers, I really think we would enjoy Lombok.

J_hercules maybe you can help me with this question. Can I get deet free musquitorepellent in Indonesia? Or Anything I can use for young children (under the age of 2) ? Here in The Netherlands al insecttrepellente contains DEET, some more than other. So my pharmasist tels me there just isn;t anything I can use for young children, wich I ofcourse dont like, especially when we dicide not to take eny anti malariapils