We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

We'll be flying into Lombok and flying out of Bali in a couple of weeks for our honeymoon. I've booked a room at the Oberoi for three nights, then plan to fly to Bali for the remaining 4 nights.

So my question is with the location of the Oberoi. What is withing walking distance of the Oberoi, with regards to restaurants, groceries, warung, etc. Hotel food is fine, but we would actually prefer something more local for most of our meals.

I'm assuming the best way to get around Lombok is by taxi. How easy or difficult is it to get a taxi near the Oberoi and other areas? I assume the hotel can call us a taxi, but if we go somewhere else for dinner, is it easy to get a taxi back to the hotel?

If we want to go to the Gili Islands, can we walk to the boat dock from the Oberoi? I read that it's pretty easy to charter a boat from Senggigi. Is this possibility from anywhere near the Oberoi? If so, what should I expect to pay for the day?

We wanted to stay at the Qunci, but they were sold out. Same with Jeeva Klui.

Sorry for all the questions. Both wedding and honeymoon are coming up fast, and we are still trying to sort out the wedding details!

Thanks!!!

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

There is nothing much in walking distance of the Oberoi other than the Belgian run Lombok Lodge located just down the road a little from the main gate.

You will find a warung or two if you walk around the bay to the south and head over toward the Tugu resort.

Tugu is a bit odd and their prices for food and beverages are appalling.

You wil need to take a fairly long ride to find a local dining alternative.

The Oberoi staff will summon a metered taxi but understand that they are a bit thinly spread in the north.

You can get a boat to come into Oberoi, be careful that you don't end up paying 5 star hotel prices for a wooden outrigger boat.

I am guessing here but maybe expect to pay around Rp200,000-225,000 one-way to the islands or Rp300,000-350,000 two way and around Rp450,000 for the day, including a return to the pick-up point.

If you book it through the hotel you will no doubt pay more but it will also fall under their responsibility to make sure it works out OK.

If you need any supplies stop at one of the chain mini-marts or maybe one of the two small supermarkets in Senggigi on your way through from the airport.

They both have a reasonable array of snacks, drinks, basic medicines and toiletries.

Otherwise the nearest decent size shops are in Tanjung, and that is a taxi ride from the Oberoi.

The easiest larger supermarket for you to access is the one opposite the old airport at Selaparang but your transport from the airport may not necessarily pass there.

If you don't have what you need prior to passing through Senggigi then make sure to stop there and purchase adequate requirements for your full stay before heading further up the coast.

The Oberoi is out on the end of the Medana Peninsula.

The other nearby tourist facilities are at Tugu Resort on Sire Peninsula and Medana Resort, you pass that on your way to Oberoi, and the Lombok Lodge adjacent to the Oberoi.

Edited: 6:52 am, September 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

The Oberoi is a lovely hotel, popular with honeymooners, but you really are quite isolated there. You will likely not find alternative dining without venturing quite a way from the hotel.

If you are wanting to stay closer to Senggigi, there are other options to Qunci and Jeeva. Up on the hill the Puncak comes to mind. In South Lombok you also have Novotel on a beautiful beach.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

Thank you j_hurcules and Sudiah for your responses.

We were actually considering the Lombok Lodge, but they were also sold out. The Puncak is sold out as well. The Novotel is a bit far, I think, as we'd like to spend a day over on the Gili Islands.

What about car or motorbike rentals? Do I need to go to Senggigi for that? I'm not sure I'd want to actually do this, since we're only on Lombok for a couple of days (one of which will be over on the Gili Islands).

Or how about hiring a driver? I'm assuming the Oberoi will be able to arrange this, at a premium. What should I expect to pay for car and driver for the day?

Thanks again.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

The good places do tend to book out on Lombok, and October is still the shoulder season.

If the reason you are staying on Lombok rather than the Gili is so that you can see a bit of Lombok, then it's well worth getting a good guide to arrange a day tour for you. Of course, Oberoi will arrange this for you. You could also see if the famous Eko is available on your dates - he is often recommended on this forum. In fact he can also arrange your Gili trip. Have a read of this discussion that was going on recently, and you can also do a search for Eko on this forum tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297733-i9237-k515…

The price for a car, driver & guide for the day depends on how far you want to go and where you want to go. But you should be able to get a good trip for around Rp 600,000 to Rp 800,000 for a full day.

If you are just after a lovely hotel where you do not venture far from the grounds then the Oberoi is a good choice.

However, if you are not going to spend time sightseeing around Lombok, then perhaps you should consider staying on Gili Trawangan. Have you also looked at nice places on the Gili? There are a lot of luxury places on Gili Trawangan, and you would have plenty of places within walking distance to eat and hang out.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

The costs for a car and driver will be entirely dependent upon how far you wish to travel, and to which destinations.

This guide is very good and will help you with both the boat to Gili islands and any land tours you wish to do, and at a reasonable price:

Eko Suprajitno

Mangsit beach, Desa Senggigi, Lombok Barat, Indonesia

hp : +6281805711190

email primary: ekomangsit@yahoo.com

email secondary: ekomangsit@gmail.com

facebook : http://www.facebook.com/ekomangsit

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

Not sure of your budget but if you are considering Oberoi then I assume you are spending some reasonably serious money on that aspect of things.

Maybe have a look here, it is almost door to Qunci at Mangsit beach... http://www.vervevillaslombok.com/

That would put you closer to some alternative dining options and the boats that do day trips and transfers form Mangsit beach are parked on the beach literally in front of the villa.

It has an Australian owner and a local booking and guest relations manager called Jay.

He looks after some other villas as well... +6281915990711, he speaks quite acceptable English.

Edited: 6:50 am, September 22, 2012
Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

Wow what is going on in October in Sengiggi or this a peak season in Lombok, I am happy that we did end up booking our nights at Qunci when we did.

Now I am a bit concerned about not booking into anywhere over on the Gili's..hmmmm I might rethink just showing up on the Gilis.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

I am also surprised to hear things are still apparently so busy in October as it has normally eased off by then and I am already noticing things have quietened down a little.

Places like Qunci, Jeeva and Lombok Lodge are generally popular year round.

Edited: 2:10 am, September 23, 2012
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

We thought about staying on Gili Trawangan, but I'm not sure if the hotels there meet what we're looking for. Normally, I would stay someplace more basic by myself. When with my fiance, we normally look for someplace mid-range. But since this is our honeymoon, we'd like a more luxurious experience and splurge, but Gili Trawangan doesn't seem to have that caliber of lodging available. Please feel free to make suggestions if I am mistaken.

Also, our flight is arriving at Lombok at 18:30, and we would never make it all the way to the Gili Islands on the day of arrival. We'd rather go straight to our hotel and not have to deal with the hassle of moving to a different hotel the day after.

On the other hand, we are planning to go to Bali when we're done. Perhaps staying on Gili T would make sense then, since we can take depart by speedboat instead of going all the way to the airport. And if I stayed on Lombok, I suppose I could always splurge on Bali instead. Hmmm, something to think about...

I looked into the Verve, and it's definitely nice. Agoda is listing the price at US$699/night for a 3 bedroom villa, which is both out of our price range and more bedrooms than we need. The room we reserved at the Oberoi is US$260/night, which fits nicely within our budget.

I'll look into Eko the guide as soon as we figure out our lodging situation. Thanks for referring him, and for all of the other suggestions.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lombok and Bali Honeymoon

Hi ikuradon,

Today we booked into Scallywags for 3 nights on Gili T.

I have researched heaps of Gili's accomodation for months, where to stay that suits us as we do like abit of luxury, aircon, fresh water shower, hot water, clean & stylish surrounds with a large pool plus service and location is important.

I would of preferred to stay in a 2 bedroom villa with the larger pool (1 bedroom villas have a tiny bathtub pool) at Ko Ko Mo on Gili T however we are on a budget so just over 2000000 for 3 nights at Scallywags is very good we feel as thats about $250aud for 3 nights for us, the Ko Ko Mo villas are about $300 + per night, if your budget can afford it.

We have 2 nights not booked as we are unsure if we head over to Gili Air for the 2 nights, or stay longer at Gili T or maybe head back to Lombok to have some more time to explore.

I hope you have a wonderful holiday