We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beaches in Lombok

louisiana
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Topic
Best Beaches in Lombok

This is my first trip to Lombok and I know nothing of the area. Any advise on the best beaches and snorkeling areas would be appreciated. What about accomodations? Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

The beaches in Senggigi where many hotels are are not good and many hawkers...further north to Mangsit...smaller hotels but some areas of beach can have undertows and less hawkers. Sand on this part of island is grey due to volcano. The Senggigi area though has a good array of restaurnats and bars to keep one happy for a few days.

The beach at Novotel in South Lombok is white but this area still doesn't have alot of real restaurants - mainly catering to surfers with good local food and a few beers. Some hawkers on beaches. There are also a number of small hotels turning up that assume people will want diving and snorkelling so positioned for this.

The Gili beachs are the best, Gili Air and Meno the best and Trawangan good away from the hotel restaurnt groupings in the south east. Few hawkers.

Try a google of Lombok Network who has quite a list of the areas and fairly accurate.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

i went to lomgok in april 08, going to gili islands, sengiggi and kuta.

the coast around sengiggi especially the north is very pretty with great looking beaches to snorkel and lots of nice places to stay.

there are a number of places to snorkel at kuta though the town seems run down to me and the hotels except for the novotel a little worse for wear and tear. i snorkelled around the novotel.. other spots looked nice but there was noone out.

gili islands are all great with good food, snorkelling and accomodation.

send pm if need more details.

i'm back next april. still more island to explore!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

Hi,

Kuta in the south of Lombok has the best beaches.

I was just looking on Thorn Tree forum and read a post about this very beautiful place called Hideway near the beach at Kuta. It is apparently new and might be what you are looking for.

Here is the website for the accomodation.

http://www.explore-lombok.com/Hideaway/

Also about 1 km from Kuta beach in the little village of Desa Mong is a gorgeous place called Mimpimanis owned by an English woman and her Balinese husband.

I have stayed here in Nov 2006 for 5 days and loved it- very realxing and friendly place- like home away from home.

Their website is www.mimpimanis.com

Also check out the new Lombok Lovers forum at http://lomboklovers.aforumfree.com/

Pamela

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

Hi,

Here is a short video of Mawun Beach in the Kuta area.

www.youtube.com/watch…

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgkZHH_oOSE

Pamela

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
945 posts
1,544 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

My vote is for the beaches on the Gilli Islands.

I think Senggigi is an over developed place and the beach is often pretty dirty.

Kuta is a very nice beach but is often affected by sea lice so isn't always a great place to swim.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

Hi,

The time I was in Kuta- Nov 2006 I swam at many of the beaches in the area and did not experience any sea lice at all.

If you go make sur eyou visit the famous Ashtari restaurant on top of the hill with the best views of Kuta- it is qyuite magical up there and besides the view the food is fantastic.

Pamela

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
945 posts
1,544 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

1998, 2002, 2007. Sea lice every time. I can't be that unlucky and some locals confirmed that sea lice aren't that unusual.

louisiana
Level Contributor
62 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

Thanks for all the replys! One more question if I dare, what is a sea lice? It sounds contagious!

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

hi

sea lice are small creatures that live around the surface of the ocean. they bite (fels like a small sting)usually under swimming costumes, rash shirts, under breasts or armpits. the bite leaves a red welt which may come up straight away or in the next two days. they become very itchy and if you scratch them the skin will open and you can can tropical infections.

if i feel them biting i move to a different spot in the water (they aren't everywhere) or get out of the water if they are that bad. i have a fresh water shower which alleviates the bites and welts. if the welts 'come up' i put antiseptic liquid on them if they itch calamine lotion relieves this problem.

whatever you do do not scrat5ch them and break them open. the itching only lasts a few days an infection will last longer.

sea lice are found all over the world's oceans and rivers. i surf a lot and have been bitten in indo, australia, europe and malaysia.

they are just some of the creatures that live in the ocean.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Beaches in Lombok

Sea Lice are jelly fish larvae and usually more prevalent in the wet season. You can try using vinegar to stop the stinging...before or after shower, I am not sure what works best...you should not shower with bathing suit still on and not wear it agin until really well washed and dried to a crisp. A mild hydrocortisone cream may also help as does a swig of benedryl.