We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gilli T or mainland lombok - honeymoon question?

london
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Gilli T or mainland lombok - honeymoon question?

hi - we have 4 days in Lombok for our honeymoon as we'd like to experience a more tranquil part of Indonesia (we are in Bali for the other 7 days).

Would you recommend staying on one of the Gilli islands? and if so, where? we would like some level of luxury...or should we stay actually on Lombok itself - Sengiggi?

we are after some beautiful beaches, but would also like the explore the island a bit.

Many thanks, Minnie

Sydney Aussie
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gilli T or mainland lombok - honeymoon question?

Hi Minnie,

Imaj private villas between mataram & sengiggi look great for a honeymoon but are not near the beach. Sheritan Sengiggi is a lovely hotel but not such a great beach. Novatel in Kuta Lombok would be great for a honeymoon & the beaches are stunning but you cant really stroll to shops & restaurants like you can in sengiggi. I am sorry but I have not been lucky enough to go to the Gili islands yet! Good luck, Jules.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
165 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gilli T or mainland lombok - honeymoon question?

I was in Lombok last weekend for 3 nights staying at Sheraton Senggigi and went on a one day return trip to Gili Tranwangen.

I loved Lombok as it is alot quieter than Bali, less polution, less people. I personally wouldnt go back to the Sheraton. I have posted a review which should go up soon. The beaches at Senggigi is volcanic which means the beach is a dark (almost black). I went for a walk on the beach from the hotel and came across a poluted water run off (3m wide) from the mainland directly into the sea. It was disgusting. The runoff is only 100m on the left of the hotel as you face the sea.

I have never checked out the Novotel at Kuta Lombok but have heard good reports. I will be checking the Novotel the next time I visit Lombok.

I visited Gili T and found the strip of where all the major restaurants are to be quite dirty. It was muddy with rubbish everywhere. I went to the other side of the island and found beautiful white sand beaches. I think there are a couple of resorts on the other side of the island. I was told by the locals that Gili Memo has the best beaches and is the quietiest. I will be heading there next time.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gilli T or mainland lombok - honeymoon question?

You could look at Qunci Villas and Puri Mas just north of Senggigi where the beach is better but sand still grey due to the volcano. Both hotels are quick taxi to Senggigi for eating outside hotel though both hotels have OK food.

The beach in the south is white where the Novotel is but doesn't offer much options for eating outside hotel.

All beaches though are public so difficult to stop the purveyors of fine goods (!) except Sheraton does keep hawkers off their beach.

The other alternative depending on time of year for pricing is Oberoi in North Lombok...very quiet and relaxing, good food but no real option at night to go elsewhere.

Gili Islands are relaxing, Beach House has a 1 bedroom pool villa at reasonable price and it is close to all the better eating places but the beach not so flash because of all the activity. You may like to consider a hotel on the north or north west of Gili Trawangan which would allow more seclusion but options of hoping a horse and cart (chidomo) to go eat somewhere different.

Most places in the Gilis are able to arrange Lombok trips.

4. Re: Gilli T or mainland lombok - honeymoon question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 17, 2009