We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Hi Everyone,

My partner and i have been going a little buts tryingt o work out where to stay... Its for two nights in mid May.. Prior to then we are staying in Senggigi for 4 nights.

Hotel Ombak?

Deaa Dunia?

Villa Almarik?

ehard comments about all of these.. like Hotel Ombak getting a bit old, pool is cracked rooms noisy. Desa Dubia having lots of bugs, lots. Villa Almarik disappointing when you see it, but apparently has fresh water showers now.

Mentioned in this post
Senggigi
Senggigi
Lombok, Indonesia
Villa Almarik Resort Lombok
Villa Almarik Resort...
387 Reviews
Gili Trawangan, Indonesia
The Lombok Lodge
The Lombok Lodge
#1 of 3 hotels in Tanjung
The Oberoi, Lombok
The Oberoi, Lombok
#2 of 3 hotels in Tanjung
Ko Ko Mo Resort Gili Gede
Ko Ko Mo Resort Gili Gede
#1 of 3 hotels in Gili Gede
Kawasaki, Japan
Level Contributor
64 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Hello Janis,

Yes it was me who wrote about bugs (the type generally feared as being unsanitary) at Vila Ombak, NOT Desa Dunia. But then again, I kind of feel a bit bad about it as the place does have its upsides too.

I only saw the other properties from the outside, but I think Ombak is the only place on the island with a proper (well, it appears so at first glance anyway) island resort feel and the pool is the only one big enough to swim in on the island. And the bugs, well, it could have been an isolated incident in a room close to the kitchen? The shower room is outdoors in the tropics after all.

On the otherhand, there's a place called the Beachhouse right next door run by a couple of jolly ozzies. I didn't see the rooms, but they're still new and clean apparently and it has a great beachfront restaurant serving great seafood. Though a little more expensive than others it's worth it.

But the place only has a small "plunge pool" so you can't swim.

Desa Dunia is totally isolated, though you're close to a good snorkelling area where you can see turtles. The pool looked more like a big bathtub.

Almarik looked clean but a bit far from the main area and the decor is a bit flashy, but it's Italian owned so go figure.

It depends on your taste and what your priorities are I guess.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Vila Ombak
Hotel Vila Ombak
1,992 Reviews
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

I personally think that 4 nights in Senggigi is too many--the Gilis are much nicer.

The Ombak pool was closed when I was there last week--it was being re-done. I was not overwhelmed with the place. Yes, it seemed old

Dunia--is a bit out of town but the Bungalows are beautiful...I've heard mixed reviews about them, though and the grounds are a bit run down. I would not exclude this place, though.

Almarik--I think is over priced for what you get.

I'd try Karma Kayak or Alam Gili--if you want to be out of town and on the beach.

Gili Villas are very nice--if you want to be in town.

That is my 2 cents.

Mentioned in this post
Senggigi
Senggigi
Lombok, Indonesia
Karma Kayak
Karma Kayak
261 Reviews
Alam Gili
Alam Gili
302 Reviews
Gili Villas
Gili Villas
104 Reviews
London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

We're going to Lombok in April and trying to decide between Sheraton or Holiday Resort in Senggigi and Villa Ombak or Desa Dunia in Gili. We like flying kites so beach is almost as important as room! Anyone have any advice?

Mentioned in this post
Lombok
Lombok
West Nusa Tenggara, Indonesia
Holiday Resort Lombok
Holiday Resort Lombok
1,063 Reviews
Lombok, Indonesia
Senggigi
Senggigi
Lombok, Indonesia
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
47 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Dear JavaLava,

I don't recommend staying in town on Gili T--you won't really be able to fly kites in town. I personally think the Gilis are much nicer (more peaceful, more beautiful) than Senggigi.

See my former comments on Dunia.

I really like Alam Gili Hotel--that is where I would stay. You can google them.

Mentioned in this post
Gili Islands
Gili Islands
Lombok, Indonesia
Senggigi
Senggigi
Lombok, Indonesia
Alam Gili
Alam Gili
302 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

I stayed at Beach House last week and we also checked out Ombak next door because we work for a company that hosts many conferences.

Ombak is over priced and still trading as though no other place has a pool or air con and it's getting bigger with building to bring from 60 to 100 rooms. They are not too enthusiastic about discounts.

Beach House has a range of accommodation and now has a bigger than a plunge pool for all guests to use. They have some villas with plunge pools and the 4 bedroom has a bigger pool but we felt this villa needed a good spring clean but other rooms OK.

Superior rooms were good, they have sat TV and DVD player, fridge and air con.

We embarrassingly admit we didn't see much of the island because the restaurants around the Beach House provided us with sushi, mud crabs and Indian food.

Mentioned in this post
The Beach House Resort
The Beach House Resort
488 Reviews
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

We stayed at Villa Almarik and loved it. I have pictures of it too. Flowers everywhere, The staff was top notch and very nice, the grounds were absolutely beautiful, the rooms were spacious, clean....large bathrooms, fresh water showers...you name it. Also, it's away from the fifty-billion times a day muslim prayer speakers so you never hear it in the morning.

Only complaint was the hot water which they said they had if you ran it for 5 minutes never came. Small complaint though. Also, I liked it being away from the "hustle and bustle" (if you can call it that) of the main area. The beach has the best snorkeling area on the island. We swam with 4 turtles and looked at all kinds of coral heads.

Mentioned in this post
Villa Almarik Resort Lombok
Villa Almarik Resort...
387 Reviews
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Hi All, thanks for your responses!

We haven't booked yet.. guess everyone has had different experiences, and we want to make sure we make the right one.

One think about Vila Almarik is that the pool doesn't look as good as Hotel Ombak. However, the rooms at Hotel Ombak look better than Vila Almarik. Oh the decisions! lol

Also, i'll have to add a post about where to stay on lombok... i'll do that now

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

What do you think?

Sydney Aussie
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Hi Janis, are you looking at Sengiggi or Kuta or both? What types of things are you wanting to do while their & type of accomadation? Jules.

Mentioned in this post
Kuta
Kuta
Kuta District, Indonesia
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to stay in Gili Trawangan

Hi Jules,

We were think in of Sheraton Sengiggi for 4 nights, then gili Trawangan for 2?? We are doing an adventure tour in Bali before we get to lombok, so think we will want to take it nice and easy. However, saying that, i want to see the island, want to see the local crafts, the sights, would ovet o climb mount rinjani, however dont know if that is feasable??

So yes, travelling to local markets, waterfalls, and sights is what i would love to do.

We aren't sure where to stay on Gili Trawangan.

Mentioned in this post
Gili Trawangan
Gili Trawangan
1,937 Reviews
Gili Islands, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Gili Trawangan
Gili Trawangan
Gili Islands, Indonesia