We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bali to Lombok...how?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Bali to Lombok...how?

I'm planning up a trip to Bali end of March 2008 but i read that Lombok is a much nicer island! My friends and I have bought air tickets to Bali but we thought if it is possible to squeeze in a Lombok trip within the travel as well.

Would anyone be kind to advise how should i book a trip to Lombok from Bali? Do i purchase a free and easy package from Bali? We love beautiful beaches, so which stretch of beach in Lombok should i book my hotel? Is it possible to ride a bike around the island or is it necessary to rent a car? Is there anything else I should look out for ?

Appreciate much and thanks in advance for all your advise and comments!

Sydney Aussie
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Hi schnoopzmq, There are a few ways you can get from Bali to Lombok.The best way is to fly, it only takes about 15 mins.You can go by ferry which takes about 5 hours.There is also a fast boat it used to be called the Maboa express but not sure if it is still going by that name?It takes 2 hours I think.You can also charter boats from Bali yourself but I am not sure about that? I was told the peak season in Lombok is in august so I would think you can find a room when you arrive but it might a good thing to have an idea before you get there of where you might like to stay.If you are looking for stunning beaches you might like to head to the south of Lombok,Kuta beach there is really nice.If you get transport from the airport in Mataram or from Lembar harbour you can ask to go to Kuta & stop at a few of the hotels along the beach road until you find something?In Sengiggi you could do the same it is more popular with tourist but the beaches arent that nice.There are biking tours around the island but you would need a few weeks to see the island by bike,it takes several hours by car to drive around.But you can also consider the Gilli islands? It takes about 15/20 mins by boat to get there.Jules

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

A really lovely place to stay just outside Kuta Lombok is relatively new place called Mimpimanis.

Very secure place, unlike some of the other places right on the beach.

Owned by English woman Gemma and her Balinese husband Made.

If you want to read more about this place- it is in the following travel books Rough Guide to Indonesia, Bali and Lombok and Lonely Planet Indonesia and Bali. Lombok.

http://www.mimpimanis.com

Check out http://groups.msn.com/LombokLovers for loads of information re Lombok.

Many expats living in Lombok also post on this fun forum.

Pamela.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Jules and Pamela,

Thank you for your tips and sharing the experience of getting around. So helpful!! Probably will try to book a flight there, else it will be the fast boat...! Can't wait to see Lombok's stunning beaches :)

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Hi schnoopzmg

Unforunately the fast boat doesn't run any more. So it's either fly or catch the slow boat.

Lijelije

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Aaah looks like i'll need to book a flight there cos i'm not too good with slow boats...*sick... Thank you Lijelije! :)

london
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Hi Schnoopzmq!

So how were Bali and Lombok??!

I am going there is September and travelling around Bali then going over to Lombok followed by the Gili Islands! I can't wait!

Did you get to Lombok in the end? Im trying to figure out the best way to get there from Bali. Most people are saying flying is the best way but I would prefer to take the fast boat if I knew more about it.

Would be grateful for your information.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Go down a few posts to "How to get to Lombok from Bali"...it contains the most up to date and extensive information to date.

8. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:35 am, February 01, 2010
london
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

Thanks Catchasnapper,

Did the Gili Cat stop in Lombok?

I want to get from Bali to Lombok by fast boat then on the way back from Gili Meno to Bali.

I was thinking if I go by fast boat it may stop at Lombok on the way and I can get of there. Then on the way back i can just get a boat over to Lombok from Gili Meno and get the fast boat back again.

Is that possible?

Also has anyone heard any reports about the Blue Water Express? The boat looks really nice!

Thanks for your information.

10. Re: Bali to Lombok...how?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:35 am, February 01, 2010