We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Hi,

I plan to fly to Flores and Timor for a few weeks in late June.

I'm not sure if it is best to fly from Java or Bali..

It will be a round trip, Java/Bali -> Flores -> Timor -> Java/Bali -> Home.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

thanks,

Streed

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Hi Streed, perhaps have a look at these to concurrent discussions on the Bali Forums...

tripadvisor.com/…47812633

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1777483-i23752-k6…

What is your initial planned point of departure for Flores from Java , Jakarta, Bandung, Surabaya, Semarang, Yogyakarta?

ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Hi j_hurcules,

I'll be flying into Java or Bali so it will either be Soekarno-hatta airport in Jakarta or Denpasar International airport in Bali.

Which ever airport is easiest to get to Flores..

Thank you for the links

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,078 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

there are connections between all these places

quicker to get to flores by bali

aviastar has flights to LB in flores - they are under transnusa (i think)

in flores there are flights from maumere to kupang (assuming you are going to west timor on some days of the week. THEREBY IF YOU HAVE THE TIME YOU CAN LAND IN LB AND OVERLAND IT TO maumere.

kupang to denpasar - garuda has flight daily also serviced by transnusa and merpati

ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Hi Rockterrigal,

Thanks for the information.

Looks like Bali to Flores is the easiest option so I'll probably go with that.

I'll check out Transnusa and Merpati.

ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

The Transnusa website is outdated so it does not look like an option..

Merpati fly to LB in Flores on the 26th of May but it is a morning flight. Our flight into Bali arrives at 11.30am.

Lion air only have a morning flight as does Sky aviation.

It does not look like there is an option for an afternoon flight.

1) Any thoughts on how to get an afternoon flight on this date from Bali to LB in Flores?

We will be travelling overland visiting Bajawa, Enda, Kelimutu, Maumere and finally Larantuka.

We are a group of 4 (father and 3 brothers - family trip)

We have a week to 10 days. I was thinking of a car.

2) Is it easy/safe to hire a car and drive or would a driver be recommended?

Not sure if we would all fit in one car with a driver and our luggage... Public transport is an option but it can be quicker and more flexible to have your own transport.

3) What is the best option for travelling through Flores?

4) Is it viable to get a ferry from (somewhere near) Larantuka to Timor?

many thanks,

Streed.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,031 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

I don't know flight schedules but there are not many flights to Flores period. In fact, flights have been known to be cancelled completely if there are not enough passengers, although I think it happens less often these days.

You should definitely get a car and driver, for all kinds of reasons. when you land at the airport there will be many drivers who can offer to take you from end to end..check out their car first before you commit, and try him for a day around LB just to make sure he's a good driver. Make sure his car is in good condition and all prices are worked out in full before you go. You will pay him not only the price for the car and gasoline, but a daily per diem which will cover any accomodation (many hotels give free to driver) and meals and snacks. etc) He will also know all the places to eat and where to stop. i only know drivers who start in Maumere so can't help you with any names, unfortunately. Bring as little luggage as possible.

Can't hep you with ferry from Larantuka to Timor, but there are very good ferries from Larantuka to Lembata.

Get very god medical travel insurance and emergency evacuation,, just in case. Have a great trip!

ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Hi Ubudpuppy,

Thanks for the information.

Travel insurance sorted :-)

It looks like we will have to stay a night in Bali. There are a lot more flights the next day.

On arriving in to LB in Flores, we'll probably spend a day or 2 here to get settled and see Rinca.

From here, we'll look at hiring a car/mini van (four tall adults) to get to Bajawa, Ende (Kelimutu), Maumere and Larantuka.

* 6 - 8 days be adequate for travel across Flores?

* Any thoughts on how much time for each location?

* Would you use the same driver for the whole trip?

* Any idea on what it would cost for a mini-van and driver from LB to Larantuka?

thanks,

Streed

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,031 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Streed: sorry, only saw this post just now...but since your trip is in late June hopefully it's not too late.

6 days is barely adequate but with that time rame you will only be able to spend only a night or so in each stop. The distances between many of these places is pretty far and winding, as in a full day's drive in many cases...

I feel it's best to use one driver and car for the entire trip, assuming you are happy with his car and services. If you have a problem with him, you CAN ditch him in the middle, but do not do it unless you already have a replacement...you might not be able to find another one in some of the smaller towns.

Cost really depends on the car and the price of petrol, as it's slated to go up in June. Last year I paid rp 600,000 a day, including petrol. Driver accomodation is usually free or at most very inexpensive..food and snacks and drink/cigarettes will be about rp 30,000 to 40,000 a day depending on how much you like your driver :)

There are lots of really interesting traditional villages along the way, tell your driver you want to see some of them...I would try to spend as much time as possible on this trip...every extra day you spend will be well worth it...and will enable you to explore off the trans-flores road.

Have a great trip, and remember, pack light...Bring shirts and pants you can rinse out at night and wear the next day.

ireland
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

Hi ubudpuppy,

Thanks for your reply.

We spent 8 days travelling from LB to Ende with a night in Komodo before we left on our trip.

We went straight to Bajawa from LB (about 10 hours on some rough roads). Spent 2 nights here visiting some villages and some treks. Highly recommend the happy happy hotel. This was probably the cheapest and best place we stayed in all of Flores, very clean and lovely breakfast. The dutch owner is very helpful too.

Next we traveled to Riung for 2 nights with a full day on a boat exploring the 17(21) islands. The road to Riung was the worst in Flores we came across.

From Riung, we travelled to Moni via Ende. Unfortunately there was heavy rain and we were not able to see the Kelimutu lakes at sunrise.

From Moni, we travelled back to Ende for 3 nights before catching a flight out.

We had a particular reason for visiting Ende but I would not recommend visiting here as there is nothing other than the fish market. We tried to visit Kelimutu again from Ende but this time it was closed due to high toxic levels from the volcano. Disappointed but at least we tried.

Flores was a great experience and Komodo was excellent too. If anyone is doing a boat trip from LB to the dragons, I'd nearly skip Rinca and do not do a midday walk around Rinca. It is pointless in that heat!

10. Re: Fly to Flores from Bali or Java

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 24, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Flores