We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria?

Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria?

We are travelling 3 days to visit Rinca Island and Labuan Bajo. Would a Malaria shot be necessary for this part of Indonesia? Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria?

http://www.traveldoctor.co.uk/malaria.htm

It advises you to take some anti malarials but as always, it's up to you.

I never took anything when I was there - cover up at dusk and slap on some repellent and I was fine - I don't think I even got bitten once.

belgium
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria?

A malaria sghot doesn't exist! Only Lariam, Malarone and doxycycline are usefull.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria?

Lariam can cause phychotic episodes, stick with the other two.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria?

Consider Malarone if you must. Have a look around the Lombok forums as there is a lot of discussion there, also on the Bali forums to a lesser extent.

This one might be a good one to start off with tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297734-i9238-k450…

I do not know much about the current situation in the eastern parts or NTB or NTT but malaria (or dengue) is not a problem in Lombok at present.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria?

medical advice in australia is to take malaria tablets. may as well as the risk of getting malaria isnt worth it. plus as advised cover up and dawn and dusk and use mossie spray and mozzie nets.

a great place to visit!

6. Re: Malaria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:19 am, October 13, 2011
Edited: 2:19 am, October 13, 2011
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Malaria?

The advice above "cover up and dawn and dusk and use mossie spray and mozzie nets" is probably the most important thing to embrace. Your best defence is to stop the mosquito having any contact with you in the first place.

I would add that you need to cover up all night otherwise the mosquitoes can have their way with you whilst you are asleep.

Neither of these mosquitos present any risk to you if they are not infected at the time.

The specific mosquitoes that are able to transmit dengue are Aedes, they are active in daylight hours.

The ones responsible for the transmission of malaria, Anopheles, are active at night.

Also the life cycle of the mosquito is quite short so unless there is a really serious outbreak of infection then problem tends to diminish quickly as the infected mosquitoes die out.

8. Re: Malaria?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:05 pm, February 12, 2012
9. Re: Malaria?

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:38 am, April 30, 2012
10. Re: Malaria?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, June 18, 2013