We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

Hi

I will be travelling to Flores by plane from Bali and I am hoping to land in Labaun bajo to visit the Komodo National Park for 2 days. I then want to go to Kelimutu I have been looking at flying to Maumere or Ende but this looks quite expensive if actually possible. I have seen you can hire drivers and cars but it looks like its quite a distance so I'm not sure about this option. Does anyone know the easiest way to get from Labuan Bajo to Kelimutu? I would prefer not to go on an organised tour unless this is the best option.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

There are public buses that leave Labuanbajo and head towards Bajawa and Moni but we never took the bus. We managed to sneak onto a tour that already had 4 people so paid less. If you've got a bit of time it might be worth just going there and trying to find a tour you could jump in on. Our tour was great as the 4 others left from Maumere, leaving us a people carrier all to ourselves for 3 days! Kelimutu was fantastic.

Off the top of my head the drive to Moni took about 15 hrs...

One of the good things about a tour is you can stop absolutely anywhere you like!

Hope someone else can be of more help.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

i came across this email from airnusa site for booking flights. the lady - vera- may be able to help you re- flights to your destination if air nusa services the flights

dpsreservasi@transnusa.co.id

try the merpati and air batavia web sites. you can;'t book but it provides flight and cost info.

Tokyo, Japan
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

The roads can be quite daunting at times. Just be aware of that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
870 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

Rockterrigal - we found it really annoying that none of the airline websites took foreign credit cards! We had to go to the airports and book there. This was 9 months ago so things might have changed.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

Thank you for all your replies. We don't have that much time probably a week at the most in flores, this is why we would prefer to fly rather than go on a tour or drive. The bad road situation doesn't bother us to much as we spent a week in Cambodia last year where I imagine the roads are pretty similar, its just the length of time.

Are the airlines Trans Nusa and Merpati ok? As I read in the lonely planet that some Indonesian airlines don't meet international safety standards.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

hi

the email for air nusa does bookings. as said, they dont take foreign credit cards so i assume that you book but pay later. last year in bali i rang the airlines to book tickets to go to sumba. i paid and picked up the tickets at the domestic airport in denpasar. i had to get there a bit earlier to pick them up and pay.

the transnusa flight is on a small jet that looks surprisingly good. there is also a slower flight on a propellor plane to flores.

last year i flew on ruai, air batavia and merpati. they were okay. i've heard horror stories but if you want to fly you just have to trust.

on the airline sites they have information about the planes in their fleets. google the names above and you'll find the sites.

i'm off to indo in april/may with domestic flights to sumbawa, flores, sumba and west timor. should be fun and an adventure.

personally, i found domestic indo flights fine. it is the quickest way to get around and the prices are reasonable.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

Thank you that sounds good, I will look into booking then collecting tickets whilst there and I'll try that email address for Vera you suggested.

Have a good trip in April and thanks for the help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

I have one more question, we were planning to go to Bali, gili islands and flores in mid september, however it is looking more likely it is going to be the end of september to early october. Can you tell me if the weather will still be ok for us to visit and get around by boat?

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

i've been to bali a few times in october and the weather was great but it is on the edge of the rainy season. so it is a matter of luck. last year in april/may it was raining a lot and usually the weather is fine. the upside is that it reduces sunburn and it is easier to walk around in the middle of the day.

Terrigal, Australia
Level Contributor
3,068 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kelimutu and Komodo Dragons Flores Help

just booked flights to flores using vera's email. we pick up and pay for the tickets at the domestic airport in denpasar. seems all above board.

they have flights daily:

Bali to flores 8:00 to 9:10

Flores to bali 9:40 to 10:50

Cost 650 000 one way per person

can't get much easier. next stop...flores, rinca, seraya, dragons, giant spiders, coral, uninhabited islands...another adventure