We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please

perth australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
help please

hi have never been to padang although have travelled lots of places in asia could anyone advise on price of food best hotels to stay on the beach by best not necessary most expensive and lastly is this a good holiday destination thanks for any help

Sumatera
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: help please

Dear Keys,

Please find our info for hotels in Padang as below :

Carlos Homestay : Near Bungus Beach

Pangeran Beach Hotel : Just in front of the beach and nice 4 Star hotel

or you can go to Sikuai Island and stay at Sikuai Resort ( 3 Star )...this kind of private island, nice white sandy beach, good for snorkling and diving

Regard / Jon

Malaysia
Level Contributor
379 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please

There is not much in Padang itself although it is a useful staging point. A day in Padang would cover the usual sights. The islands are a good bet. Inland, Bukit Tinggi, about 2 - 2 1/2 hours from padang is cool at night and has some good sights and treks in the syrrounding area. If you are active, try the Mt Marapi overnight climb - about the beast thing to do there.

Sydney
Level Contributor
111 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: help please

Hi,

I agree with FootyBoy, Padang is not the most exciting place, great food there though not alot to do within the town itself.

Padang is mainly the gateway to the Mentawai islands if you are looking for adventure and surfing. Or Pulau Cudadak is just off the coast of Padang with a nice beach resort for relaxing:

www.sumatra-indonesia.com/palaucubudak.htm

There are some nice beaches just north of Padang around the Bungus Bay area.

Though the best attraction inland is Bukittingi and Lake Maninjau which are both awesome and very relaxing places.

There is more info here about Padang with links to Bukittingi and Lake Maninjau:

www.sumatra-indonesia.com/padang.htm

Good luck with the trip

Scott

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: help please

Hi,

Email me Pamela at pamela_fuge@yahoo.com.au and I can forward to you maps of Padang, Bukittinggi and West Sumatra that show the main tourist attractions plus I have compiled a Word Document with loads of info on West Sumatra one of my favourite areas of Indonesia.

If you do a search on this forum yuo will see all my contributions over the past two years.

Pamela

singapore
Level Contributor
70 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help please

pamela

your posts have been great.

you are truly a nice person.

regards

rajamanu

6. Re: help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, January 01, 2010