We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padang after the quake

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Padang after the quake

I've already bought tiket to Bukittinggi coming May 07. However that was b4 the quake. Would like to have any info of the condition there. Is the road fr Airport to BktTinggi affected ? What about hotels. I hope most of the hotels are still up there. Guess the rate lower due to the disaster, but are all the interesting places such as pasar atas, fort de kock, the lakes and other shopping areas still ok ?

Sumatra
6 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Padang after the quake

Hi there Fairas,

the places that you've mention at your topic still okai. And so the road from Padang to Bukittinggi. Nothing change after the quake here, just few building and house at koto gadang (silver village) broke down, but you still available to shopping of the silver. Sianok canyon fall down and made the bridge to koto gadang way, if you do trekking, lost. But normal road still ok.

Enjoy the trips :)

Rika

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
312 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Padang after the quake

hi indocewe,

I received 2 scary pics from my friend, there is a huge hole at the road somewhere at Padang or other city, I can send you if you would like to see, is it true?

rgds,

marala

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Padang after the quake

Thanks Rika,

Hope everything is fine there. Still looking for decent cheap hotels.

KL, Malaysia
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Padang after the quake

Juz got back from Padang yesterday. Spent one night at Hotel Anggun Sari, Bukit Tinggi and another night at Nuansa Hotel, Padang.

Everything looks ok there, expect few buildings with cracks. Shopping wise, u can stop at Pandai Sikek for embroidery, songket, telekung, etc. Its like cottage industry. About 15 minutes b4 u reach BT. Well at pasar atas BT, u can also find textiles, songket, handicrafts, kerepek, curtain and other souvenirs. Pls also look at the quality as price seems to be different from one shop to another. Also few ahops at Panorama which offer good price.

Hotel Anggun Sari is only 5 mins walk to Pasar Atas (u will also pass Jam Gadang) and Panorama Park. Nice, cheap hotel. We got it for 187,500IDR. Room with aircond will be bit more than that. Pls bring ur own bath towels.

Hotel Nuansa at Padang cost 220,000IDR (w/ a.c). Good location, facing the waterfront. And along the watrefront, u may find lots of food to try. The hotel is abput 30mins to new airport,.

We paid IDR850,000 for transportation. ( Airport to Bukit Tinggi incude stops at several places + BT to Nuansa Hotel + Nuansa to Airport ). The service was satisfying. Brought us to excellent Nasi Padang rest., and also suggested us some good hotels. Name is Pak Wahid and for malaysian..this guy cakap mcm org melayu.

His hp : 751 782 9111

5. Re: Padang after the quake

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 29, 2009