We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Penang Island...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Hi all,

i'm traveling alone to medan coming end of june weekend (27 june-1st Jul).

i'm interested to visit lake toba/berastagi/medan...

any idea ?

who want to join me together? XD

1. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:57 pm, August 31, 2014
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Hey there,

I’ve been to that area a few times over the years, and last time I went from Medan to Lake Toba for my stay and went back to catch my flight via Berastagi. I suppose your plan depends on what time your flight arrives at the airport. Hopefully you’ll get in early and won’t have to spend the night in Medan, because although there are things to do there, most people I’ve met, and myself included, would prefer to head straight up to Lake Toba if at all possible.

When you’re in Lake Toba, I’d recommend using Tuktuk as your base for exploring Samosir Island, since it has the best accommodations and is centrally located. Also depending on whether you are interested in climbing Mt. Sibayak you might consider spending one night in Berastagi. It really all depends on what you feel like doing there!

Could you let us know what time your flight arrives and what you are interested in doing?

Penang Island...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

flight arrive around 11am local on 27 june and leaving on 3pm 1st July.

It is about 5 days 4 nights.

Is it hard to find place to overnight on the spot?

Any low/medium budget guest house recommend in Toba/berastagi/medan ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Hey there again!

I think since you’re getting in at that time you should come straight up to Lake Toba. From the airport to Tuktuk it takes about 5 hours (ferry trip included). Once in Tuktuk, get off at the Sosor Galung harbor. It’s usually the first stop, but not always, just tell the guy who takes your money on the boat. From there, there are two places that I like that are low – mid, backpackers go there and they are generally a pretty cool bunch in Lake Toba. Just out of the harbor on the ring road there is Bagus Bay immediately to the right, and to the left is Liberta just a bit around the corner. They are both probably what you are looking for.

In Berastagi,I’m going to claim ignorance because I only know of the bigger hotels and have never stayed overnight there.

In Medan, I’d recommend one of the places close to the Grand Mosque (Mesjid Raya) off of Jalan Sisingamangaraja. Residence Hotel is cheap but not totally terrifying. Angel is ok too, and both are close to Cafe Raya, which is an ok place to hang out and drink while listening to the sounds of Medan! (The Grand Mosque is just across a small side street) There is also a shopping center across the main road if you need to buy anything for your trip.

Just plan ahead and think about your route back to the airport. The road via Berastagi is beautiful, but since you want to check in at the airport at 2:00 pm, you might not have time, unless you spend your last night there. You might also consider going back to the airport via Siantar to save a few hours.

Have a great trip, it is a really lovely place (outside of Medan!).

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Your time will be quite busy if you want to go to Toba.

But also, I would travel up towards Aceh to see the Orang utan.

In Medan you have a variety of hotels from 5 star to less than 1.

In Toba, there is nothing 5 or even 4 star. 3 is the best quality.

Prices are cheap, amazingly so.

Getting a good driver or Taxi isn't the easiest thing but with Taxis, stick to Blue Bird.

Samosir
Level Contributor
439 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Dear Clements,

I am very happy with Post Nr 4. I fully support the Tuk Tuk part and I take the Medan information for granted. I am regularly passing this area but have no idea of the ins and outs.

I just give you the following itinerary for your consideration, as I think budget wise coming to Tuk Tuk via Berastagi this may be a good option and also Berastagi is worthwhile a stop.

June 27. As you arrive at 11:00 h you have enough time to make your way to Berastagi by public transport. For example Damri Bus to Amplas, Angkot to Pinang Baris, Public Bus to Berastagi.

You could stay in the Wisma Sibayak Guesthouse. From what I hear they have a range of budget rooms. This is also the place where you can arrange for and board the shared taxi to Parapat on June 28.

June 28. Shared taxi to Parapat

Take passenger ferry from Tiga Raja Harbour to Samosir, Tuk Tuk, Sosor Galung Harbour . The shared taxi drops you at Tiga Raja Harbour

July 1. Start with the first passenger ferry at 06:45 h from Sosor Galung Harbour to Parapat

Board the first shared taxi of 08:00 h from Parapat to the Airport via pematang Siantar. You will arrive at the airport between 12:00 and 13:00 h, nicely in time for your 15:00 h flight

Note 1. To fully enjoy and get a feel for Medan you could even consider to spend your first night in Medan and arrive on June 29 in Tuk Tuk

Note 2. Ramadan is scheduled to start on June 28, so don’t expect to much outdoors Lisoi !!! in Medan and Berastagi on and after June 28.

LISOI ! LISOI !! LISOI !!! HORAS !!!! WELCOME TO TUK TUK. WELCOME TO SAMOSIR

Penang Island...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

Well thanks for the advice,

I have planned to stay 2 nights at Tuk tuk for first 2 days, and 1 day in berastagi and last day at Medan.

Just wondering which transport should i take to these places only.

8. Re: Travel Solo in Medan, what to do there?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 28, 2015