We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

immigration in medan..the worst

Which Medan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
penang
2 posts
Save Topic
immigration in medan..the worst

Just came back from medan, the trip was not so bad..nothings for free. Cheat and lies for money are quite normal..have to be smart. Departing from medan back to hometown was an experience of a lifetime. IIImmigration at kualanamu airport won't let our maid whom was Indonesian nationality (java)pass thru even all the documents are complete. They are mad when I asked why and wont let me interupt while arresting the maid..even shout at our family to go on and leave our maid behind. When I raised my voice little bit one of the officer come straight to me and provoked like he want to fight me while at that time im holding my baby. He says this is indonesia and he have the power..support by all his colleagues. Stupid mentallity..saying that they can cancelled me to get out from medan. I didnt say anything but insist to follow where they are going to bbringthe maid. Go to the office..there..nothing happened but some stupid question. .and they let us go. If I weren't there..maybe they would as for money from my maid I guess. indonesian not for indonesian..they don't care. My maid was very scared. Luckily we are safe home. Hehe..u can visit medan..sure will experience funny things beside this..such as airport runner..argh..many things. Good experience.

NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

I think I agree with the title of this post. The immigration officer asked for a service fee while he was looking at my passport. It took me a few seconds to realize what he was talking about. I pretended not to understand and have him a questioning look. He said again, "Do you have a tip for me?" I pretended still not to know what he's talking about and just replied that I've already paid my VOA fee. Been through bali and jogja airports recently (and other developing countries), but never was I asked for a 'service tip' by an immigration officer. Is this normal here? I wasn't expecting much coming here, but this is insane lol!

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

sadly i have to say that is pretty normal. the law enforcement here is so weak people will try to do anything they can get away with.

NC
Level Contributor
8 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

Oh, really sad then. It was just a shock for me being asked bluntly by an officer in uniform. At the visa stamp section, I was also asked by both the lady and man at the area for my sunglasses. I had to explain I needed it cause of an eye surgery only to be asked if I've got another pair lol.

My main concern though especially traveling with a young child - would their be negative consequences for us if I keep ignoring their demands? Has it ever happened that someone been denied entry or fined for something ridiculous or unexpected?

I am hoping for more travels to Indonesia in the coming months.

South Australia
Level Contributor
346 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

Must confess i was impressed with the airport immigration, much quicker then Adelaide. Never got asked for any "tips" and found the officers quite friendly and efficient. Only three of us had to get the VOA but overall much better than Bali and had enough staff on board to cope with the planeload. Only time i have been asked for a little extra was when trying to enter madagascar and the officer made me fill out the form three times. he kept saying cadeau and then handing me another form. problem was the little french i had learnt didnt include gift. Got through eventually without paying any extra and a fellow traveller from Canada enlightened me afterwards what he was seeking.

Darwin, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

Must have been the same guy I got, said exact same words. I have family there and don't need trouble, they remember you. Paid it and on my way. When in Rome do as the Romans do....:)

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
16. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

Medan is not the worst! But it high on the list, when extending visas they send you from office to office, everyone has their own rules and some really do ask for extra money. Lampung ask 4x the fee,balikpan ask 12x the fee. That's all part of life here and everyone handle it in there own way. Alaway be calm, some pay it some don't. All imagination report to dergen, they are a bit more helpful, but you could also burn your beige that way too.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

The Medan immigration asked me for RM200 for letting me go in.. They said if I don't pay then they will not allow me to enter. I asked them why and they said it is their rule and they can do what they want.. Bloody hell and idiot.. I paid but also pray that the officer will die immediately and the money just nice for him to buy coffin

Medan, Sumatera...
6 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

About Immigration the worst and about fee is things has happened is the things or a real things for traveller. I believe this become a common things among traveller.To aware traveller about this then they can say , yeah i feel good now while they stuck on airport to get their flight.

19. Re: immigration in medan..the worst

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 24, 2016