We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medan to Lake Toba Question

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
150 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Medan to Lake Toba Question

Hi all,

My flight touch down at Medan Airport at 4.30pm local time. Is it possible for catch a bus to Lake Toba? Or Berastagi?

I understand that Berastagi is nearer to Medan but if I were to go to Lake toba after Berastagi, is it easy to get a public transport? Or we should pre book a taxi?

I read some JBR here but it I am still confused over the public transportation in Medan. Appreciate anyone who help.

Berastagi, Indonesia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

Hello

You can take public bus from Medan - Berastagi ( 2 hours ) you can go to Padang Bulan Station Bus, This is the name of public bus you can choose Sutra, Borneo, Sinabung and Murni. Before the fuel higher the cost is 10.000,- per person. You can go to this station bus from the airport by taxi or becak.

From Berastagi you can choose by public bus or tourist bus.

If you choose from public bus :

From Berastagi - Kabanjahe take KT ( Yellow colour ), ask the driver to stop you in Sepadan Station Bus the cost per person 4000

Sepadan Station ( Kabanjahe ) - Pemantang Siantar = 20.000/ per person. They will stop you in the station bus in Siantar which you can choose the bus to Parapat

Pemantang Siantar -Parapat = 10.000/person

If you take Tourist Bus : You can take Bagus taxi 110.000,- per person and they will depart at 01.30 pm from Berastagi, Maybe you will arrive in Parapat almost 6 pm and you will take the latest boat.

Hope this information be useful for you.

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

Hi Mery,

Thank you so much for listing how to get from Brestagi to Parapat which involves a lot of travelling but it is quite ok if one has the time.

This is the first time anyone has taken the time to post such valuable information.

For any traveller reading this post Mery is the owner of the very popular Nachelle homestay in Brestagi.

One of the travellers I have been helping and am in contact via Whats App as they travel through North Sumatra told me what a wonderful stay they had at this homestay.

They mentioned they had taken the buses from Brestagi to Parapat and I was going to wait until they went home to UK to give me the detailed information.

Thank you Mery for taking the time to post so all the travellers reading this now know what to do.

And another UK couple I am currently helping have booked a tour with Mery who will take them to some tourist sites on their way to Parapat by car.

So finally there are some options on how to get from Brestagi to Parapat if one chooses to visit Brestagi before Parapat and Lake Toba.

Pamela

Johor Bahru
Level Contributor
150 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

Thanks a lot for these valuables information.

Samosir
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

A first class contribution of Mery, which will be very helpful for guests travelling from Berastagi to Parapat, Samosir, Tuk Tuk. I just checked with Bagus Taxi. The new price for a shared taxi seat is Rp 120.000,-- and they said the shared taxi departs from Berastagi at 14.00 h. The ride includes one short stop at Si Piso Piso Waterfall. The schedule aims at having the guests in time for the 18.00 h passenger ferry from Parapat (Tiga Raja Harbour) to Tuk Tuk. In case anything goes wrong, guests will be in time for the last ferry from Parapat to Tuk Tuk, which is now at 19.00 h.

HORAS !!!! HORAS !!!! HORAS !!!! WELCOME TO LAKE TOBA

Medan
Level Contributor
998 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

welcome Mery! hope you stay and become our permanent resident

1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

TQ Merry.. Thats is a very usefull info.I'm touching down in medan on the 3rd July. can i get ur phone number to get some info how to get to berastagi n lake toba. or a tourist guide with a car can take us around for 3 days stay. Im travelling with my friend.

tqvm

Edited: 10:59 pm, July 01, 2013
Berastagi, Indonesia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

Hello Pamela,

You are welcome. I am happy to do that, and I really hope the information be useful for everyone who will come to Berastagi and Parapat. A bit surprise you know me. Thanks.

Berastagi, Indonesia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

Hello Mr. Berend,

Thank you for the information about the price of tourist bus. Actually I have problem about the price. Some driver said 110.000,- and some driver said 120.000,- And you said it is include stop in Sipiso-piso waterfall, but the fact when I confirm with the driver that he will stop in sipiso2 waterfall , he ask additional cost 20.000/ person with my guest. So, I think it is not good, because the money for the driver and not for the company and also my guest will be dissapointed about this because I promise them the price incude stop in sipiso2 waterfall except payment restribution fee 4.000/ person

Could you please to send me private message the pic or contact number of Bagus Taxi?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Mery Sembiring

Berastagi, Indonesia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

artemiofranchi : Thank you :)

datohelmi : You're welcome. I just sent you private message. Hope you have a wonderful trip in Sumatra. Regards, Mery

Samosir
Level Contributor
446 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Medan to Lake Toba Question

Dear Mery,

In this Forum you may kindly address me as HorasSamosir.

Details of Bagus Taxi are:

PT. BAGUS HOLIDAY’S (Tour & Travel)

Parapat (Kantor Pusat)

Jl. Pelabuhan Tigaraja No.02

HP: 081362397309

Medan

Jl. H.M. Joni No.11 Samping Ke Kiri

(Makam Pahlawan Medan)

HP: 081260576047

My information was based on a telephone call with the Parapat Manager. As you said it is quite well possible that some drivers make their own rules. It could be a good plan that for your guests you book them with the taxi office and check the car and name of the driver bringing the guests. Anyway, I will relay your information to the Bagus Taxi Manager in Parapat.

HORAS !!!! HORAS !!!! HORAS !!!! WELCOME TO LAKE TOBA