We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medan or Padang?

Dusseldorf, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
99 reviews
Save Topic
Medan or Padang?

Due to the flight schedule, I have to do a one day stopover either in Medan or in Padang.

Which city is worth staying one day? I dont need major attractions, just want to stroll around, have good food and nice people around.

Thanks for your answers.

Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: Medan or Padang?

Hi Leopang,

Are you honestly suggesting that Jazziey see both Medan and surorunds and Padang and surrounds in 4 days/3 nights?

Jazziez, depends on what you want to see.

- big city lots of modern malls and shopping with a little bit of muesums etc.

Outside Medan is Brestagi 1.5 hrs by bus away or Lake Toba - 5 hrs by bus away and then a 1 hr ferry to Samosir island.

Culture - Batak as mentioned above.

OR you could do a 3 hr bus trip to Bukit Lawang to see the twice daily feeding of the orangutans and even do a day trek into the jungle with a guide.

- smaller city not as modern in my opinion in relation to shopping etc.

Bukittinggi - 1.5 - 2 hrs by bus away from airport. Cool area local markets, great food at Simpang Raya restaurant, clock tower tourist attraction.

Rafflessia flower might be blooming and a trip to see it at Palupuh is a delight.

Lake Maninjau about 1hr away is a relaxing place and I feel nicer than lake Toba.

Harau Valley is not far and there are great cabins in the area to stay in and wonderful people to show you around.

So both areas have a lot to offer, BUT you must only choose one because you really need 8-10 days to do both properly.

If you would like some maps etc just drop me an email to pamela_fuge@yahoo.com.au and I will forward them to you.

Level Contributor
9,514 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Medan or Padang?

Fully agreed that>>>> 4 days/3 nights is too short to see both places.

Both places offer different scenery so hard to choose over which is a better location to visit,so suggested 2 places but with a longer plan to see destination with a leisure time.

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Medan or Padang?

Hi Pamela.

Need your advice on how best to get to Batu Sangkar, where the bull races are held. Tq in advance.

Medan, Indonesia
Level Contributor
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Medan or Padang?

Just a day in Medan but lot things to see and do.

Feel free and comport as your home, a day full of visit such as :

Chong Afie's house at jalan Kesawan, Velangkani church, Buddhist temple and Hindus temple, Maimoon palace, and grand mosque.

Varieties food of Indonesian ethnic, chinese, American and European food is available in Medan

Edited: 9:03 am, February 22, 2013
15. Re: Medan or Padang?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 24, 2014