We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Look for help to having holiday in medan

Which Medan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Look for help to having holiday in medan

I will flight over to Medan at 02/02/2011 until 05/02/2011. I would like to have ground arrangement with local tour guide there. I want to go Lake Toba, Maimoon Palace and some of the attractions place. Anbody can recommend me tour guide by an affordable price.

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

you don't need a guide for Maimoon palace, its in the city centre and can easily reach with becak (rickshaw), while the palace itself is reasonably big but most of it is restricted for public, the public area is quite small so you won't spend too much time there anyway, a stone throw away from the palace is Mesjid raya (the grand mosque) which is another landmark of this city and much more attractive to be photographed IMO

If you are staying at one of the many hotel at jalan Sisingamangaraja then both this place is just around the corner

as for lake toba and tour guide, our resident expert pPamela will be giving you some info soon i believe

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

oh, thanks for ur reply. Im staying at Grand Aston Hotel nearby Merdeka Walk there. Is it possible I can get any becak from there to Maimoon Palace there and it cost about how much? Is there any legal taxis that using meter fat airport? Bcos i wana take taxi from airport to Grand Aston Hotel and hows the fare?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

Hi,

There is a lovely taxi driver called Jenner who works out of the airport.

Met him in 2008.

Speaks Engiish as well.

His mobile no. is +6281396610005

Will try to post a link to a photo for you in next post.

Also if you are wanting a car/driver/guide for Lake Toba then I can recommend Bob and his details are here at

…indahnesia.com/topic/9598/0/bob_-_recommend…

Pamela

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

Hi,

I finally worked out how to put Jenner's photo up on my Webshots album.

travel.webshots.com/album/579467199gTyKgJ

Pamela

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

Hi Pamela,

Thanks alot for ur info.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

Hi All,

Any place to recommend to visit when holiday at Medan beside lake Toba?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

Hi,

You will be only going for about 4 days so best to stick with Lake Toba and maybe spend an afternoon or day in Brestagi on the way there or on the way back from Lake Toba.

Be aware Lake Toba trip is about 4-5 hrs by road and then an hour on the ferry so best part of half a day is gone just getting there.

Pamela.

Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

you absolutely can take a becak to get to maimoon palace from grand aston, its pretty close and expect fare between Rp.15.000 - Rp.20.000. anywhere above that is a rip off

and i just notice that you are coming at the 2nd of february, as you might or might not know that the 3rd of feb is chinese new year, hotels in Tuk-tuk (lake toba) is on a high season price, FYI

Edited: 3:39 am, January 09, 2011
Medan
Level Contributor
963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

oh and you can also stop at tongging to see the sipiso-piso waterfall, its in between Berastagi highland and perapat (lake toba). at Tongging you can see the Lake toba itself already, its the north end tip of the lake.

and you will be travelling to the town of Perapat, the middle eastern side of the lake, and take ferry to cross to Samosir island to stay there, do not stay at Perapat, there is nothing there, all the action is on Samosir island

have fun

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Look for help to having holiday in medan

Hi artemiofranchi,

As wat u told me just now, it is possible that I go back to Medan city centre in the same day that I visit Lake Toba? Maybe I can start my journey at 8am from Medan? Any suggestions? It is wasted if I'm not staying 1 night at Samosir when I visit to Lake toba?