We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

Hi all,

This is my first time on the Sulawesi forum, I'm mostly on the Bali-forum.

We went to Sulawesi in May 1998 (went from Manado to Makassar by car in 9 days) and did first some snorkelling in front of the Tasik Ria resort.

For me this was really the best snorkelling ever. Afterwards we snorkelled around Bali on many places, but the different fishes I saw at Sulawesi was really great. And we liked also so much, that we could just walk into the sea, very calm and not difficult to walk, not deep or with waves...

Now I am thinking of going back to Manado, Bunaken and its surroundings, and do it all calmer, stay longer in every place, as the first time we were in the car for most of the time.

Found top places likes Lumba Lumba diving, but I wonder whether we always have to do rather expensive boat trips to snorkle from there. Of course we want to do a boat trip, but we also like to be able to snorkle right off the beach, like at Tasik Ria.

In reviews about Tasik Ria, I read now there is no beach there, and there are a lot of boats on the shore, so probably a lot has been changed....

We don't need a beach with sunbeds etc., but just a place where you can walk in the sea and snorkle from there.

So I am doubting now between Lumba Lumba and Tasik Ria.

In one of these places we want to stay around a week and do also daytrips from there to Tomohon and the national park.

Afterwards we like to go some days to Bunaken Village, would this be a wise combination?

All info most welcome!

O, and in 1998 we used Lariam and Paludrine, which was really awful, if we do now only the north in the dry months (July or August) I think using deet would be enough (hopefully?)

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sylvia

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

What about Manado beaches?

Eindhoven, The...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

Hi Mittwohl,

Unfortunately I got no replies on my question, hope they reply on your question.

Found in the meantime also Thalassa Resort Manado, which is the old Barracuda resort being renovated.

So we will split our time between Lumba Lumba, Thalassa and Bunaken Village.

If anyone has ideas about this, pls let me know.

And anyone familiar with this area, pls also answer about beaches in and around Manado, thanks!

Edited: 1:56 pm, March 23, 2014
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

Thanx BrakelSyl,it is free City beaches?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
1,153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

Manado city doesn't really have nice beaches or they're quite polluted. There's a little more info here...........

http://goo.gl/esaHJq

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
54 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

Many thanx

16. Re: Snorkelling off the beach in Manado

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 am, May 25, 2015