We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

20 day itinerary

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
20 day itinerary

Hi,

We're planning to visit Sulawesi the first 3 weeks of April. Is this a good time to visit?

What would be a good itinerary? We have about 20 days and we'd like to visit Makassar, Rantepao/Tana Toraja and do some diving, probably at the Togeans. Heard this is cheaper than Bunaken, but is it as good? We are looking for a good combination of culture, nature, diving and relaxing. Hope someone can give us advice.

And what are the prices like? We are backpackers and don't need more than a basic double room.

How much does a single dive cost? Does anyone have recommendations for good dive sites? And what is a good place to do a PADI Advanced Course?

Looking forward to reading your replies.

Thanks!

Edited: 3:13 pm, January 27, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 20 day itinerary

Hello,

Rantepao/Tana Toraja is awesome and easy to do on budget. You can get a bus from Makassar overnight which will help save on accommodation costs for a couple of nights. I would then fly from Makassar to Manado and I would recommend going to Bunaken/Lembeh for diving rather than the Togeans. If you are on a budget look to contact Two Fish Divers - they have a location in both Bunaken and Lembeh and are also a great place to do your Advanced Open Water course as well - I would recommend the night dive in Lembeh!

Also by coming up to North Sulawesi you should visit the Minahasa Highlands and Tangkoko National Park to see the Tarsiers and Black Macaques - easy to do both of these on a budget!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 20 day itinerary

Hi Helen,

Thanks for your reply. Really useful.

What are the night buses like? Any recommendations regarding which bus to take?

Okay, so we should skip the Togeans and go to Bunaken/Lembeh instead.

Haven't thought about Minahasa Highlands and Tangkoko National Park yet, but I will look into this and contact you if I have any further questions!

Thanks again.

Nikki

London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 20 day itinerary

Hello,

I have not taken the bus myself but in the main part of town there is plenty of choices and little travel agents who would be able to advise - I would take one of the VVIP buses as they would be comfortable and still not that expensive!!

Let me know if you need anything else!

Helen

4. Re: 20 day itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, February 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sulawesi