We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

Crete, Greece
2 posts
Save Topic
Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

I will be volunteering in Indonesia and I applied through Globalteer to go to North Sulawesi (Tasikoki center). Has anyone used globalteer before? Or travelled to North Sulawesi?

ANy information would be highly appreciated. Especially concerning : safe airlines, possible insurance ( I dont have one and I think Imight need it) etc! Also, wll I need to take medication for malaria? because I was not aware of that and I just read a topic.

Also does anybody know how I can find cheap flights to go to Manado? I found a flight that cost 600 (roundtrip) from Jakarta to Manado. I thought that was expensive, but then again I don't know.

Thank you!!

Edited: 9:27 pm, June 25, 2011
Level Contributor
9,516 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

This domestic budget airline also fly fro Jakarta -Manado

Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

The organisation you are volunterring with should be able to give all the answers to the questions above.

In regards to Malaria suggest you visit a travel doctor and find out what you really need in regards to vaccinations etc. an up to date tetanus shot is one for sure.

Suggest you should also post these questions on Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Indonesia forum as well.

Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

This is the link for Pelni ferrys, some times if you have time is cheap and nice to take it.

Selamat jalan!

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

I was just wondering how your trip went with Globalteer in Sulawesi? I am planning on going there summer 2012 on my own being a girl I was just wondering how safe it is? did you have a good time and would you do it again?

Any Advice would be much appreciated

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

I just came back from 3 weeks Tasikoki.

There is a volunteer house and a guesthouse.

Guesthouse not for volunteers. (Exception 1-2 nights)

Volunteer house, 2 rooms: boys room 4 bunkbeds, girls room 7-8 bunk beds. In between communal area. In 2011 233 volunteers.

I know girls who traveled alone through Asia, N-Sulawesi is safe.

There is pick up from Manado airport to Tasikoki.

I did not take malaria pills but had musquito net. Staff member had mildest version of malaria however. Few days ill. But still, malaria.

Animals are great. Everybody loves the 2 orang utans, the albino macaque and the cuckatoo that says goodmorning. Also the gibbons calling in the morning is awesome ! Once a week you have a day of and on wednesday afternoon there is a excursion. Beach on 15 minute walk from vhouse.

More info? Send e-mail to Bolboek@live.nl

Barcelona, Spain
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

I have been traveling in Sulawesi for long time, North Sulawesi is quite safe, you can travel alone, there are no problem but I recomend you to drees apropiate. North Sulawesi is not muslim but people outside Manado and Bunaken are very tradicional, if you travel by public bus and if you want to be welcome don't dress you like in Bali.

Nice trip. Selamat jalan!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
77 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

North Sulawesi is a pretty safe area and if you are going to be at Tasikoki they will look after you :) Airlines I use in Indo - Batavia, Lion Air and Garuda and these service the main routes that you will probably want.

I would still dress conservatively - longer trousers, covered shoulder - when out and about, more to be respectful and to stop the stares.

I live in the area and do not take malaria tablets and have been here two years with no problems but around dusk and dawn cover up and spray some citronella - works just as well as any of the harsher stuff! Have fun!

Tokyo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Hakone-machi, Minato
Level Contributor
7,067 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

Take bug spray (if you can find the type with DEET, it would be helpful). The "chiggers" there are horrible. Will go through mesh hiking shoes, so be sure to spray the shoes, too. Always wear long sleeves and long pants when you're in the forest.

Some people have adverse reactions to malaria pills. Listen to your body. If you don't feel well, don't take them. But use caution. Spray well!

Edited: 8:58 pm, January 12, 2012
Zwolle, The...
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

Hello Helen,

On the 3th of febuari i'm going to sulawesi for 3 months. The first 2 months i'll be doing volunteerwork at the Tasikoki wildlife centre. The last month is for traveling and sightseeing around manado and bunaken.

You said you live in the area?

Maybe you would like to show me around or maybe travel a bit with me.

Im a 28 year old girl from Holland, traveling alone.

Hope to hear from you!

Greetings Els

Level Contributor
69 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Globalteer- Volunteer in North Sulawesi (Tasikoki)

Sulawesi forest is awesome.wonderful.

Get answers to your questions about Sulawesi