We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Toraja land--worth a detour?

Berkeley, CA
Level Contributor
113 posts
Save Topic
Toraja land--worth a detour?

We'll be traveling in Sulawesi next July to dive at Lembeh and Ganggha Island. Someone just mentioned Toraja to me and it looks like it will take some effort to get there. We could probably afford 3 days or so to make the trip. Any thoughts about this? What would be the best way to get there? We'll be flying to Sulawesi from Denpassar and were going to fly to Manado, but I think we'd need to change that if we're going to Toraja.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Edgewood, New Mexico
Level Contributor
11 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Toraja land--worth a detour?

Hello,

My wife and I spent four nights in Rantepao/Tana Toraja in early June. The mountain scenery is awesome along with the amazing Tongkonan houses and famous hanging graves. There were very few tourists there, but it's definitely worth the trip. The problem is that flights to Rantepao are pretty scarce, so you have to make the 8-hour drive up from Makassar (a 1-hour flight from Bali). There is some beautiful scenery on the way. Besides the graves/Tongkonan houses, be sure to drive up to Batutumonga above Rantepao for some stunning mountain scenery. You can buy beautiful wood carvings and weavings in the area around Rantepao. It is so exotic, different and beautiful that you should go if you can. You can fly from Makassar to Manado afterward. Have fun! John

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Toraja land--worth a detour?

Definitely worth the detour. I was there in 1990 and I'm headed to North Sulawesi to dive with my daughter in Sept. It is such a rare and beautiful place, I want her to see it, but getting there is difficult. We will fly from Manado to Ujung Pandang (Makassar) then drive up to Rantepao (8 hours!) which is worth doing once. There is an airstrip and service 3-4 days a week by "Lion Air" but I have not yet found a way to determine the schedule or book tickets! If you're coming from Denpasar you have to stop in Ujung Pandang anyway on your way to Manado so that part's not difficult.

Redding, Connecticut
Level Contributor
4 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Toraja land--worth a detour?

Definitely worth the detour. I was there in 1990 and I'm headed to North Sulawesi to dive with my daughter in Sept. It is such a rare and beautiful place, I want her to see it, but getting there is difficult. We will fly from Manado to Ujung Pandang (Makassar) then drive up to Rantepao (8 hours!) which is worth doing once. There is an airstrip and service 3-4 days a week by "Lion Air" but I have not yet found a way to determine the schedule or book tickets! If you're coming from Denpasar you have to stop in Ujung Pandang anyway on your way to Manado so that part's not difficult.

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
945 posts
1,512 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Toraja land--worth a detour?

Yep you can add my vote to the definitely worth a detour pile.

It's a really unique part of Indonesia and you won't be disappointed if you make the effort to get there.

5. Re: Toraja land--worth a detour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, October 03, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Sulawesi