We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bintan for family holiday

Nambucca Heads
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Bintan for family holiday

Because of travel warnings to Bangkok we need to change our travel plans for a 2 week holiday in June. Emirates can fly us to Singapore instead and I was wondering about Bintan for a family beach holiday. We're really looking for somewhere beautiful to relax where the kids will find lots to do (10 & 7). Thought we could have 3 nites in Singapore and 9 days in Bintan...I'd love some advise!

Regards

Anna & family

SYD-LON-MUC
Destination Expert
for Honeymoons and Romance, Richmond-upon-Thames, Bondi, Katoomba
Level Contributor
4,162 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bintan for family holiday

Hi Anna,

For kids I couldn't recommend Nirwana Resort highly enough. Though my review only gave 3 stars this was mainly based on our trip as a couple and the resort seemed to be much better catered for families.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1096248-d…

It was alot of fun and alot of things to do and a variety of accommodation options to cater for both couples and families.

I have some photo's on my review for you to look at.

I think at the age your kids are at they would like it.

Things to do like the small play area outside near the beach, pool activities, mini zoo (or area with animals) for them to admire, numerous beaches to choose from, plenty of walking space and meals to suit. For the adults there are bars and a couple of restaurants too. The nightclub is somewhat, well let's say it's good if there is a group of you not just 2.

You can venture in to the small village town which is quite nice. But I mean small. Don't buy anything from there unless its for souvenirs and across the road from the main tourist area is a football (soccer) pitch and next to that are a couple more stores and a few nice restaurants where we ate at. Nice, clean and good service.

For me I would spend 7 days in Singapore and 5 days on Bintan but that's as adults. For kids I gues 7 days on Bintan should do it with the rest in Singapore. I would also say to do Bintan at the end of your trip so the kids can wear themselves out for the flight home.

To bintan it's only as ferry ride. Do this at the end of your trip as you can just hop on a taxi from there to the airport for a short journey. Or if your kids don't mind seafood I always stop in at the Seafood Center on Long Beach. All taxi drivers will know it.

Wife and I brought a couple of board games with us to play by the pool and at the bar so this might be an evening entertainment option while you have a few beverages and to keep the kids busy if you need too.

Brad

singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bintan for family holiday

I would definitely think about spending more of your time in Singapore there is stack of stuff to do there especially with kids aged 10 to 7. My kids are slightly older but love the luge on Sentosa, tree tops walk in Macritchie and Forest Adventure at Bedok. Night Zoo is also highly recommended and then there is the food - fantastic - especially at the Hawker Centres where is is a bargain. On Bintan I would think about Club Med or Nikoi Island for kids your age they are both well set up. Club Med has more organised kids activities, whereas Nikoi is more back to nature. Both will cost you more than Nirwana but the activities are included. I have never done it but heard mangrove tour is also very good. Also superb golf courses on Bintan especially Ria Bintan - in my view one of the best in Asia.

Bintan
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bintan for family holiday

Bintan is a lovely place to stay and I would recommend you and your family to stay at Club Med . The kids will enjoy it because they have a lot of activities to keep them busy You can also bring your children to Nirwana Resort Center for bowling, Elephant show and horse riding. There are also many local tours you can take such as the Tanjung Pinang tour, Eco- Farm, Mangrove, fire flies and One day Batam tour by boat and land.

If you plan the trip carefully I am sure you and your family will have a good time.

Nambucca Heads
Level Contributor
26 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bintan for family holiday

Thank you all for your suggestions...we've got some quick decision making to do which will be much easier now...thanks again

Kind regards

Anna

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bintan for family holiday

Hi Anna

Yes it would not be advisable to head for Bangkok just yet, especially with young kids.

Bintan is a good place to head to especially if you want a good beach holiday. No one to push trinklets to yuo on the beach or harrass you into doing a massage. Bintan is a wholesome family oriented tropical island destination with much for kids to do just at the resort itself. You may want to opt for Club Med Ria Bintan or Nirwana Gardens. Both are very family friendly. Also check out the Mangrove Tour. You kids would enjoy that. Easy connections from singapore make Bintan a perfect tropical island getaway after spending some days in the hustle and bustle and attractions of singapore.

Wishing you a great holiday!

Asad

6. Re: Bintan for family holiday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 22, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Bintan Island