We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bintan from singapore

London, United...
Level Contributor
571 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
bintan from singapore

Hi...we are having a stopover in Singapore next july en route to australia and would like to take a week or 10 days and travel a little further away.

Bintan had been suggested to me but my husband is not the type to enjoy lying by a pool in a resort (sounds ok to me) - he would like to do something more adventurous. Is there anywhere else that one can get to from singapore without having to fly or travel too far? Can one go on to other islands from Bintan or into Sumatra? We are looking at budget or mid range options. Thanks - beranie.

singapore
Level Contributor
79 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bintan from singapore

Unless you fly your options are limited. If you want to visit another island check out Nikoi Island off the east coast of Bintan - a very pretty island off the east coast of Bintan. Alternatively you could fly to Padang in Sumatra (just a one hours flight - Tiger Airways - very good) - very basic accomodation though. Bukit Tinggi and Lake Manijau definitely worth a visit. You can drive up to Malaysia but personally I find service in malaysia is on the whole dreadful.

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bintan from singapore

Hi,

Do you want a week or 10 days away (apart from Singapore)?

If you want a week away, then head for Bali (your husband and do whitewater rafting/go trekking/snorkelling/diving) and you can chill out by the resort's pool! ;-P And July's a nice time to go to Bali.

If you're just alking about a few days, then there is Bintan, but the regular spots that the Singaporeans go to is just a 45 min boat ride.

A place that yourhusbnad might like is Loola Adventure Resort. You might not like that though. No pool.

It falls under budget price range (higher, rustic end of budget) and it actually quite nice.

www.loola.net

Alternatively, I have heard that Sumatra is lovely. I haven't been there though.

3. Re: bintan from singapore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, September 12, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bintan Island