We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bintan ferry in April - still rough?

1 post
Save Topic
Bintan ferry in April - still rough?

We're planning to go to BIntan in early April and am already a bit put off by all the comments about the rough ferry ride, with everyone throwing up left, right and centre.

can we expect calmer seas in early April? a bit worried cos we're taking our 2 year-old. Or should we avoid Bintan?

Sydney Aussie
Level Contributor
175 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bintan ferry in April - still rough?

Hi fatmui,I have never been to Bintan and I am sure it is very beautiful but I have travelled on ferries in Indonesia .Can you fly there?i prefer flying over the ferry boats any day!!I have a 5 year old son that I would never take on a ferry EVER!!!! They are not very clean most of the time & the poor locals(including my husband) dont travel well & get very sea sick!!!There is vomit everywhere by the end of the journey!!!The ferries do offer a very scenic trip during daylight hours but the nights are scarey!I would advise you check out the flights if you dont want to miss out on Bintan.Hope that helps , Jules.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
2,724 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bintan ferry in April - still rough?

Just visited Bintan Island and the ferry crossing was much better than we had expected. For about 10 minutes mid way there were a few big waves but other than that is was a calm ride. No one was sick on our trip to/from Bintan Island. The monsoon season has past and April is start of best time to visit.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bintan ferry in April - still rough?

We went to Bintan via ferry from Singapore last week. NO ONE was sick and the ride was quite enjoyable. This is a very modern ferry and quite large. There was no time that we felt that the ride was at all rough.

4. Re: Bintan ferry in April - still rough?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 pm, August 29, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Bintan Island