We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
473 posts
Save Topic
CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

hello potential Batam travelers .

just thought i'd let you all know that when you take a cab outside a ferry terminal , outside shopping malls or even outside your accommodated hotel . always negotiate the price with the taxi driver before you hop into his vehicle . be clear with the driver of the price you are going to pay .

yesterday afternoon one couple had a bad experience with one driver they flagged down outside their hotel . iHotel to Golden Prawn Seafood should ONLY cost Rp50.000 but this driver requested the couple pay Rp100.000 because of "traffic" .

the couple do not want to accept this because they know the actual price and argued with the driver and the driver drove them somewhere else (inside Bengkong Laut/Indah complex , the locals should know this area) . LUCKILY the couple phone me and i made a quick dash to where they were located .

at first the driver did not want to accept the call the couple made to me (because they had no idea where they were) , fortunately the car stopped and the couple made a quick jump out of the vehicle . LMAO the driver even stop the car because he still wants his "Rp100.000" .

anyways i arrived at the scene and i had a really deep argument with that corrupted driver . he even threatened me that he knows a lot of police friends and that he'd call them . after about 10 minutes of debate , he finally accepted Rp70.000 (Rp20.000 of my money in it) and told me to "watch out" .

i will try to have the couple testimony about this experience of them in here .

so lesson learnt , always ask , be sure that you and the driver knows the price you are going to pay and avoid run down taxis (even tho they have their yellow plate on) .

take care and enjoy your time in Batam .

65 replies to this topic
21. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:06 am, November 12, 2013

22. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:06 am, November 12, 2013

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Okay first of all sorry for the bad experiences you have had with Batam taxi. This is what I think about the situation, it's quite normal to certain extent. Why do I say so?

- I always go to Melaka via Johor Bahru Larkins Bus terminal. Once I reach JB Stulang Laut port, there will be people asking me to take a cab bla bla bla. Some quoted RM 25-30. I decided to walk out to the mall and get a registered taxi only to find the cost from mall taxi is RM 28. Turns out if I walk out a bit I can find roadside taxi and they will take me from the port to bus terminal for RM 20. RM 20 is around Rp 70,000 and the distance is between 12-15 mins. Please compare.

- It is almost always the case that terminals, hotels, and resort taxi are more expensive than normal taxis you get on the road. This is not just in batam, but it's also in many parts of the world. This is not always true of course in a more advanced country like Singapore where all cabs are metered and have similar standards and regulations throughout the island.

- I can give many examples of my own trips where the cabs are more expensive than Batam and resorts charges ridiculously compared to Batam but I don't wanna sound like I am defending Batam. It is true that locals would have paid lesser for the same journey so there is a different standard.

- In regards of Blue Bird, they are safe and trusted but please do not expect their metered fare to be much cheaper than the price you pay for a non-metered cab.

- Finally, Batam is cheap in many ways. If you think Batam is as expensive as Singapore, then trust me, you have been going to all the wrong places :)

Hope you all have a better and more enjoyable travel in the future.

Cheeerss

Batam Center...
7 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

U can take bluebirdtaxi... googling.

Which from jakarta compaNy. Safety and pay by agro.

3 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

I regularly use both silver cabs and bluebird. They both use new, easily identifiable logoed cars and uniformed drivers. Silver cabs can collect passengers from most ferry terminals and shopping malls. Phone 0778461000.

The other taxis charge between 50-100% more, use ancient unserviced cars and will rob anyone who doesnt know better. The problem is driven by commercial landlords taking a 'cut' from the taxis they 'allow' to pick up passengers combined with the drivers preference to sit chatting awaiting suckers rather than do a real job. As someone explained to me the ferry and mall taxis only get 1 or 2 customers per day, since they just sit around, so they expect you to pay their days wages for one trip! Just today, I caught a Nagoya Hill Mall attendant trying to chase away my cab. So be warned!! Shop elsewhere if you'd don't want to become the only financier of a rogue taxi family!

3 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

I regularly use both silver cabs and bluebird. They both use new, easily identifiable logoed cars and uniformed drivers. Silver cabs can collect passengers from most ferry terminals and shopping malls. Phone 0778461000.

The other taxis charge between 50-100% more, use ancient unserviced cars and will rob anyone who doesnt know better. The problem is driven by commercial landlords taking a 'cut' from the taxis they 'allow' to pick up passengers combined with the drivers preference to sit chatting awaiting suckers rather than do a real job. As someone explained to me the ferry and mall taxis only get 1 or 2 customers per day, since they just sit around, so they expect you to pay their days wages for one trip! Just today, I caught a Nagoya Hill Mall attendant trying to chase away my cab. So be warned!! Shop elsewhere if you'd don't want to become the only financier of a rogue taxi family!

3 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

The other taxis charge between 50-100% more, use ancient unserviced cars and will rob anyone who doesnt know better. The problem is driven by commercial landlords taking a 'cut' from the taxis they 'allow' to pick up the customers at their site combined with the drivers preference to sit chatting awaiting suckers rather than do a real job. As someone explained to me the ferry and mall taxis only get 1 or 2 customers per day, since they just sit around, so they expect you to pay their days wages for one trip! Just today, I caught a Nagoya Hill Mall attendant trying to chase away my cab. So be warned!! Shop elsewhere if you'd don't want to become the only financier of a rogue taxi family!

28. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

Removed on: 11:56 am, November 29, 2014

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
49,450 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

post ## 26, 27 - duplicate posts

post # 28 - self-promo

Batam, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Batam
Level Contributor
1,846 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam

yeah... post #28 please do not use this forum to advertise.

And for readers, take at your own risks for such posting :) Don't worry about "please do not use flag down cabs as they might ask for more money once you reach destinations." That's just a scare tactic! Feel free to take terminal/port/hotel taxis. They are safe!!!

Cheeerss

Reply to: CAUTION : Taking a cab/taxi in Batam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted