We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Hello,

As I have heard from my parents that Batam is a place for guys so I was wondering if this is true as they have went there before and advised me that nt to visit without accompanied with more people.

Mentioned in this post
Batam
Batam
Riau Archipelago, Indonesia
Singapore
Level Contributor
72 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

i have been to batam as a pair of girls for > 5 times already and have faced no problems. Most of the time i travel around in taxi or hotel shuttle.

Just take the usual precautions. Do not stay out too late and do not venture into dodgy dark alleys and lanes.

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Thanks for ur kind reply! Alright I shall be stay indoors at night to play safe haha..

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Thanks for ur kind reply! Alright I shall be stay indoors at night to play safe haha..

Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Batam is not that scary =) let me know when you plan to visit again. I can recommend you some nice places for massage and spa and most importantly, MAKAN PLACES!!!

Mentioned in this post
Batam
Batam
Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Thanks i agree nt that scary just that i duno hw to speak the language ahaha~

Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

So I take it you came to Batam already? How was your trip?

Well not being able to speak Indonesian can be inconvenient but i'm sure you got through just fine =) Most established business here have a few employees who can speak some English. And most Chinese here can speak Mandarin. If those don't work, just use body language and calculator. hahahaa

Mentioned in this post
Batam
Batam
Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
44 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Yes! Went to Batam during May previously ~

A one day tour via coach & with tour guide who speaks fluent Mandarin, all is fine just that the prices of goods such as dry groceries, local delicacies were equally around the price i can get in singapore so was rather disappointed.

However, the Walls brand ice-cream especially Magnum is definitely a must to try at Batam as it's sold half the price of what singapore is selling at. Haha~ My friend ate 3 Magnum ice-cream within a day. Overall, enjoyed go-kart and seafood lunch the best.

Are you an Indonesian? As you seems to be very familiar with Batam =)

Mentioned in this post
Batam
Batam
Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Yes, I am Indonesian and I live in Batam =) Crossing over to singapore every now and then though.

Well, sad to hear but you paid those prices because you went with tour agent =) They want commissions too you know. hahaha...

OMG YES! MAGNUM is cheap here. But too bad we don't have the Magnum Gold and Double Caramel flavor! Still, we have chocolate truffle and the rest! yummy!

Which Go-Kart did you go too? Was it the one near Golden View Hotel? It's quite fun. I did flying fox there too... though not too high but still quite exciting =)

Let me know next time you come, I will recommend you to other makan places, seafood, bbq, chinese, local indonesian food, whatever... so many to choose from!

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Batam
Batam
Golden View Hotel Batam
Golden View Hotel Batam
206 Reviews
Batam, Indonesia
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
29 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Hello. What food places are there to try? I'm planning to bring my family there minus the tours... :D

Edited: 10:30 pm, September 25, 2011
Batam, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,876 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe for 2 ladies to visit Batam for a 2D1N visit?

Liltintz, you are in the wrong thread! hahaha..

Anyway, too many good food!!! lol... the really good ones you need some local to bring you there. First of all, please check out the other post by me here.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297717-i9135-k476…

Let me know if you need other info. PM me for faster response.

Thanks and enjoy!