We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bintan or batam?

australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Bintan or batam?

Hi

Could some one please let me know if they think bintan or batam singapore is better? Why? And im also looking for a half board or all inclusive package for meals and drinks...I have checked club med but wanted to know what else is there?

Thanks

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bintan or batam?

Not sure where Singapore fits in this - is it a choice? Or you coming from SIN?

If I could, I would choose neither and go elsewhere.

With a gun at my head and only these two choices, I would choose Bintan.

Bintan is hardly an idyllic tropical island. In general, the reputation is tropical "retreat" heavily influenced by the Singapore market - and all the good and bad that entails. It will be pretty sterile hotels, spas, and such.

Batam has the (bad) reputation as a "border" town. It's reputation is it is a place where dirty old men from Singapore get easy access to "dirty" things not so accessible or so cheap in SIN - - this includes plenty of prostitution, including child prostitution. I am sure that there is more to this place, but this is the overwhelming rep.

australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bintan or batam?

Eekkk!....thanks for that...

singapore fits in because its the last connecting flight from europe to perth australia...I thought after a month of freezing cold maybe taking two days out for some sun and sand would be a good thing...Sigh...no idea any more...Mykonos chance of rain, ibiza not the right time, bintan...Well your story tells all...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
49 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bintan or batam?

From what I've heard from Indonesian people, both islands have that same bad reputation...

Mannheim, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Bintan or batam?

Hey I think you should just go for Bintan if youre looking for warm sand to dig your toes into under a cruelly cloudless sky. It's still better than Singapore's Sentosa and at least you wont find dolphins in pools trying to entertain you

Kinda sterile, but at least away from the city and the cold:)

australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bintan or batam?

thanks for that....well fiji and mauritius is off our track so it really has to be singapore or singapore islands...We really wanted an all inclusive trip but club med is the only hotel that would do it:(....

Anyone recommend Bintan hotels? Anything would be great....

Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bintan or batam?

the resorts in bintan are situated in the north, far away from tanjung pinang,the town that has bad reputation.You would most likely spent a tropical retreat at the resorts and stay right there.

SAN DIEGO
Level Contributor
322 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bintan or batam?

How is the ferry from Batam to Belawan? How long? How much?

Singapore
Level Contributor
141 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bintan or batam?

I think it should take less than an hour from batam to belawan.Bintan is closer to Batam than Singapore.Prices should be not more than S$40.You have to check ferry services to get the exact prices.Surely it is cheaper from batam to bintan than singapore to bintan.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
138 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bintan or batam?

My family of 2 kids & 2 adults stayed at the Harris Resort in Batam last week and it was fine.

A bit pricey for Indo but still safe, clean and very freindly.

If you need more info let me know.

10. Re: Bintan or batam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 25, 2009