We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sundanese music in Bandung?

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hi there everyone;

I've been enjoying this forum for a while now, and have recently registered.

I'm a big fan of SEA (music, culture, food etc) and have been to Bali several times, and Java twice.

during my last trip, i decided to take a break in Bandung and absolutely loved the place. i was only there for a few days, with the faint hope of finding some live Sundanese music. i wasn't able to find any, other than a dubious Dangdut place on Braga. i found a pile of cassettes at least, and that's enough to bring me back for somewhere between a week and 10 days in January.

I'm hoping that someone out there has an idea, no matter how vague, of where to find some live Sundanese music. I'm aware of the Angklung factory (i'm not an angklung fan sadly), the zoo (every 2nd Sunday apparently) and the odd high-end hotel with possibly degung, but that's about it. a few of the old guidebooks have recommended places, but they don't seem to exist anymore (at least on the i'net).

would anyone out there be able to help? i'm especially interested in Jaipong, Ketuk Tilu, large group Degung, basically most Sunda music!

cheers and thanks!

Bo

ps: as a total Indonesian music nerd, i did manage to find via Google about a Jaipong troup in Jatinegara, Jakarta, and am planning a couple of nights there to check them out. i've also heard that Subang and Kerawang are hotbeds of Jaipong, but no other info unfortunately...

Bandung Grand Mosque
Architectural Buildings, Sacred & Religious Sites, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

maybe you will interested with this one:

Padepokan Seni Mayang Sunda,

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,893 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hello,

Reading your post makes me embarrassed of being an Indonesian.. I dont even know what is Jaipong.. LOL.. :p

I will let you know if I can find any information about it..

Though Karawang and Subang are pretty much off the beaten track for tourist..

Cheers

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,036 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Jaipongan, also known as Jaipong, is a popular traditional dance of Sundanese people, West Java, Indonesia. The dance was created by Gugum Gumbira, based on traditional Sundanese Ketuk Tilu music and Pencak Silat movements.

Gugum Gumbira is a Sundanese composer, orchestra leader, choreographer, and entrepreneur from Bandung, Indonesia. After 1961, when the Indonesian President Sukarno banned all forms of western music and challenged his people to revive their cultural music, Gugum Gumbira made this task his own. In order to do this he studied the rural, festival dance music for twelve years. His result was jaipongan. He created his own recording studio in Indonesia called Jugala.

Gugum Gumbira was born in 1945 in Bandung, Indonesia. He attended college in Bandung where he majored in social and political UNPAD. Once he left college, he took up a position at the Ministry of Finance and later moved to Government Vehicles. He also lectured at the Academy of Finance until 1988.

He currently owns a recording studio called Jugala where he conducts his orchestra also called Jugala and a dance troupe that shares the same name.

Gugum Gumbira's Jugala Studios in Bandung serves as the base for his own Jugala orchestra and dance troupe, and has hosted and recorded many other musicians, including Sabah Habas Mustapha, and The Residents.

allmusic.com/artist/gugum-gumbira-mn00009468…

…jabarprov.go.id/wisata/dest-det.php…

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,036 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJQ2cabuiwY

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hi Cakur, and thanks!

i hadn't heard of this group before. id heard of Padepokan Sekar Panggung, but i think they dance with recorded music.

i'll definitely check this out!

terimah kasih banyak!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hi Stefzzz, and thanks for the reply.

the golden age of Jaipong(an) seems to have been in the 1980's, so it's not surprising that it's rather "under the radar"! there used to be jaipong clubs, but i don't know if they exist anymore. there are a good number of videos on YouTube, of varying quality. you can't really go wrong with anything by Cicih Cangkurileung. too bad so many of the singers have passed away...

thanks again, and happy listening!

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hi Schonefeld;

nice job with the jaipong history; thanks!

i'm planning on a wander by Jugala Studios, just to see the place. i've read that Jugala, while still in operation, haven't recorded any Jaipong music sessions since the early 1990's. i hope that isn't the case...

cool about the Residents etc recording there!

would you have any info on where to perhaps find Degung, Kliningan, or any other Sunda music?

much appreciated!

(and thanks for the link)

at the very least, i know where to find a couple of good cassette/vcd shops!

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,036 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

amazon.com/Music-From-Bali-Degung-Bandung/dp…

wismamusic.com/mp3/1/degung-bandung.html

Ottawa
Level Contributor
20 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hi Schonefeld, and thanks for the links.

interesting title "Music from Bali: Degung Bandung"...

i wonder if there's a "Music from Bandung: Gamelan Bali"!

funny how Sundanese Degung is played pretty much everywhere in Bali.

so much so that tourists tend to think that they're hearing Balinese music.

sweet stuff!

if anyone else out there has any info on where to hear Sundanese music in West Java, i'd greatly appreciate it.

cheers and thanks!

1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Sundanese music in Bandung?

Hi all , im gg Bandung next week friday. and i love all sunda javanese jaipong dance. As im a dancer too. can anyone assist me , if you guys know where is it located in Bandung :) thank you so much ! As i've a blood of Javanese. really2 looking foward for your reply guys :)

Get answers to your questions about Bandung