We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

Hi, I just had a good hollday in Central Java, now planning to return to Java, looking at visiting during the Good Friday long weekend next year. (I know, it's 8 months from now, very advanced planning : ) )

I have just started to read Bandung forum, good to see familiar names. I have not booked my air ticket yet, trying to find out if it's a bad time to visit (Thu 17 Apr to Sun 20 Apr 2014), eg will it be crowded, higher hotel rates etc? Thks much!

Edited: 11:59 am, August 08, 2013
Bandung Grand Mosque
Sacred & Religious Sites, Architectural Buildings, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Bandung
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,603 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

always better visit here not in weekend or especially public holiday.

Bandung, Jawa...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

there will be lots of people here as Easter is also a holiday time on Java.......but......if it is the only spare time you have then come on over to Bandung......going to attractions early is the key.....Tangkuban Perahu and see the sunrise from the summit is something very special......make sure in advance this is possible with your hotel/driver and so forth. It is possible Hotel Rates will be higher, however such an early booking can sometimes bring a good discount. Hotel in a central position close to shops / factory outlets will make it easy to walk around. Hyatt is central Bandung adjoining the large Indah Plaza Mall......Geulis Boutique Hotel is next to factory outlets....the Asmila Boutique Hotel is right opposite the famous Rumah Mode Factory Outlet.....Sensa Hotel is part of the Ciwalk Mall complex and meters away from a busy shopping street...these are just a few suggestions.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java, Singapore
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

<< trying to find out if it's a bad time to visit (Thu 17 Apr to Sun 20 Apr 2014), eg will it be crowded, higher hotel rates etc? Thks much!>>

mrslye, hello

1/ a WISE traveler always comes to TA locl forum to verify his/ her dates choice BEFORE booking. YOU are a wise planner, and i applaud you....

2/ The travel dates you goona choose are not GREAT, in reality they are bad, together with the long weekend it will be a public holiday. JKT adds to BDG population about 2 mil + card in average weekend, on public holiday will be 3,5 mil + card at least. The hotel prices will go up - that`s the usual thing. Restaurants, sight, attractions and streets will be crowded in the highest point of their capacity............

VERDICT: chose different dates, be wise!

NOTE: weekend hotel rates in BDG are higher throughout the year than on weekdays. Money wise it`s always moire practical to travel on weekdays.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

Hi all, Thks very much for quick responses, much appreciated!

Our group will consider all comments and make a decision. The reason why we were considering the travel period is to take advantage of the long weekend (we are all working) and take a short getaway.

The other question that came up in our discussion is the safety aspect. Though Tangkuban Perahu is dormant, it seems to have some activities every few years, spewing smoke and ashes etc. If Mt Merapi acts up, ashes may also affect Bandung, I guess if we do proceed with the booking, we have to monitor the news and play by ear, necessary step to take for any travel destination we choose.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

mrslye,

1/ thank you for taking comments RE: changing the dates of travel - SERIOUSLY.

2/ volcano activity, also weather, flood frequency, mosquito population, flu burung etc - IMPOSSIBLE to predict, this is god`s business, not ours. The only real thing you can do - YES indeed, monitor the situation and adjust your travel plans if needed.

Bandung, Jawa...
Level Contributor
56 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

As mentioned, do the tours early and your long weekend holiday should be fine, and please write about your experiences on this forum or some reviews...always good to have the opinions of others. Mingling with the local "crowds" can mean soaking up the ambiance of the place.

Tangkuban Perahu is classed as "Active"...it gently simmers away releasing steam and gasses from the main crater and smaller vents in other craters. (bit like nature's safety valve).... Occasionally it springs to a more active role releasing a lot of ash and smoke......the good news is that when you go up our "sacred" mountain half way along you will see a government building which is a geological monitoring station. There are monitors on the mountain, both Human and device/s....and when there is an upsurge of activity which usually includes mini earthquakes, those working at the mountain top are asked to leave which includes any visitors, and the access roads are closed off until the government seismologists give the "all clear".

There is plenty of info about this Volcano on the www. Merapi is a far more sometimes violently active Volcano and yes ash can be widespread when Merapi goes up.

Good advice not to venture into any of the craters of Tangkuban Perahu even with a guide......this Volcano is a gentle simmering giant , and can be observed from the rim of the main crater......this is spectacular as there is a 700 metre deep chasm...it must be several kms in radius.

Me and my family are soon to leave for your city of Singapore....and thanks to the locals on the Singapore Trip Adviser Forum we already have some great travel tips.

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

Hi all, thks for responses.

I am looking for alternative, probably Thu - Sun (16 - 19 Jan 2014). I can't avoid weekend, but am trying to avoid the long weekend.

I noted that there is a holiday on 14 Jan (Tue) but supposed it's non issue in terms of crowd if I touch down on Thu, just have to brace the usual weekend crowd?

Edited: 9:41 pm, August 11, 2013
Jakarta
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
55,213 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

mrslye, hello,

1/ January - 14 Tuesday The Prophet Muhammad's Birthday. And the fact that it falls on the middle of the week makes both weekends around LONG. So... if panning your visit in January - i suggest 2-5 Jan or 23-26 Jan.

January - 31 Friday Chinese New Year MUST be avoided too.

2/ please do come back to verify your choices, if in doubt again... HAPPY panning!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

Hi, I am still looking for dates.

I noticed that labour day (1 May) is not a public holiday in Indonesia. It's a public holiday in Singapore. Can I check if there is any reason why I should avoid 1 May 14 to 4 May 14 (Thu-Sun)? I can't avoid the weekend. Thks very much!

Singapore
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4D3N Bandung trip during Good Friday Holiday 2014

Hi,

I just realised that this period, there may be high number of overseas visitors, including those from Singapore and Malaysia.

How about 27 Feb to 2 Mar 2014 (Thu-Sun)? Comments? thks.