We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandung Trip Report - 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

singapore
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

First of all I wish to take this opportunity to thank cakur, schonefeld, stefzzz and many other forum members who have helped plan my 4 days 3 nights sightseeing/shopping trip.

I booked our tickets to Bandung at a promo price offered by AirAsia. When I booked the tickets I am not aware that Sunday, 24 Feb is the governor/mayor election. With the help of tripadvisor Bandung experts I made the best itinerary possible bearing in mind that shops might be closed or open half day on this particular Sunday and with the usual heavy traffic on weekends.

I booked thru Kagum hotels website the Carracidin Business and Entertainment Hotel for 3 nights with complimentary airport transfers. I also booked a driver with car for 2 days for Tangkuban Perahu and surrounding areas and Kawah Putih and surrounding areas.

1st day

We took a morning flight and arrived Bandung at around 11.30 am. Upon arrival, there is no aerobridge and we walked down the flight of steps from the airplane. Immigration and custom clearance was quite fast, approx 25 to 30 mins.

In the afternoon, we shopped at Rumah Mode, Fashion World (nothing of interest) and Dago Factory outlets. We travelled by taxi and angkutan kota.

2nd day

As this is a Sunday and a public holiday, we made prior arrangement for our driver to pick us up early at 7.30 am. Before we start off, our driver informed us that Tangkuban Perahu might be closed due to increased activity. We were disappointed but we told him to proceed as planned and see if we are lucky. There is no jam, the traffic is very smooth. Upon arrival at the gate, we were told that it is closed. My husband is not interested in the hot springs, so we gave it a miss. We drove around the area, took some photos of kebun crater, then drove off to Lembang. At Lembang, we visited floating market, horseback riding at De Ranch and ended off the day with outlet shopping at Jalan Riau.

3rd day

We started off at 8.00 am,visited Kawah Putih, Situ Patenggang lake, strawberry farm, have lunch at Saung Gawir. In the afternoon we again shopped at Rumah Mode, Kartika Sari and Amanda.

Although we were disappointed with the closure of Tangkuban Perahu, we greatly enjoyed our short 4 days trips. Although we couldn’t speak nor understand Bahasa Indonesia, the people are very helpful and friendly. We will be back again when we see another promo fares from AirAsia.

Once again, thank you to everyone who have offered advice, suggestions and information to make our trip any enjoyable holiday.

Regards

Sandy

singapore
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

I will choose Kawah Putih.

Sandy

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,319 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

<<How do you find kawah putih? Is it good?>>

Try to google it or yahoo/ picture to have an understanding how the place looks like.............

Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

Hi maxilee / anyone who knows.....

How was the floating market? I understand that this is a new attraction in Lembang area. Is it worth going? Will 1-2 hours be enough to appreciate the place?

Thanks and Regards.

singapore
Level Contributor
720 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

Hi

There isn't much things to do at the floating market. We went because we couldn't visit the volcano. There are several food stalls.

Regards

Sandy

Ho Chi Minh City...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

Hi,

Thanks for the listing of holidays. I am planning my fist visit to Bandung in August and certainly will ask for help from the experts in this forum. I already know the first of rule of avoiding major holidays and weekends ( not to be trampled to death by visitors from Jakarta :-).

Jim

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

Jim V,

Glad that you learn something from the forum. the traffic is sometimes just as bad as Ho Chi Minh City on Christmas eve night!!

We would like to hear from you!!

cheers

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
51,319 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

<< know the first of rule of avoiding major holidays and weekends>>

Jim V,

You already WOW us with observing the most important issue of the forum. Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You further questions are welcome. But please start your own thread.

Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

Thanks maxilee/ Sandy for your inputs.

Anyone else visited the Floating Market before? If so, your views please? Thanks.

To experts Stefzzz and Schonefeld - Following up on your comments above re the bad traffic (and there are lots of advice on traffic woes in this forum!), what time would you advise that we set off from Bandung town for Mountain View and Giri Gahana in order to avoid the bad traffic? If we start off at say 7:30am, would that do? How long would we then take?

(Sorry maxilee for sorta piggy-backing on this thread.....)

Thanks for your advice. Regards.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

for Tangkuban Perahu approx 1 hour without traffic..

Kawah Putih 2 1/2 hours without traffic.. both each way..

Probably add 1 hour or much more with traffic.. it really depends on how bad it is..

7.30 sounds good.. at least the majority havent wake up yet..

Cheers

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
39 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Bandung Trip Report – 23 Feb to 26 Feb 2013

Hi maxilee,

I have read your trip report just now and was curious where did you book your driver + car from as I will be going to Bandung end of this month? Directly from your hotel or from any tour agency? And what is their cost for daily rental? I have checked with my hotel regarding the car rental service, however they just provided me with the driver's ho no and requested me to make the arrangement myself. =X

Get answers to your questions about Bandung