We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

KL
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

Hello everyone,

I’m not sure whether this issue has been highlighted before so this is just a reminder. I went to Bandung recently and experienced a misfortune situation where a confirmed (paid) online hotel booking is not a guarantee that I could get a room in Bandung.

It never happens to me before anywhere else, so it’s really frustrating since I brought family. A Bandung forumer (not TA forum) agreed with me and witnessed a 4-star hotel receptionist in Jakarta was given bribery for a room even though all rooms were fully booked. Must be that room has been booked by unfortunate person like me.

It’s a surprise when I checked in TA Bandung hotels review, the same casualty happens to other travelers as well. So, this issue is not new in Indonesia. I’m telling this so that all travelers aware and have a few backup plan in mind, in case the same casualty happen. Take back your money (I requested hotel to pay extra since I paid in USD) and ask them to send you to other hotel, after you finish complaining, of course.

The high level of ignorance for some Indonesians has poisoned their own tourism industry. I will definitely not coming back to Bandung and will recommend other place to my family and friends for next trips. Bali is still no. 1 destination in Indonesia for me, though.

Thanks.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

Your judgment is not justified at all. First, you did not mention the method of booking. Second, you did not reveal any detail (which is important).

If you make judgment from your experience at one Bandung hotel that "The high level of ignorance for some Indonesians has poisoned their own tourism industry." Then I too have witnessed lots of cases happened to Malaysian hoteliers in their own ground.

This is not a new issue in the hospitality industry but you make it so big as if Indonesia is the only country which has the problem. It would be wise whilst delivering your statement, you also provide sufficient details.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

1) Care to mention the hotel?? So we will blacklist the hotel from our recommendation list (if it ever happens)..

2) It's not only Indonesia, I get scammed by a hotel in Saigon!! First-hand experience!! after paying it on advance by agoda!!! Won't mind telling people about it if you ask me..

3) Please do other travellers a favour so they don't fall into the same trap as you..

Cheers

Jakarta, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Malang, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
3,141 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

If you are referring to your own review here: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297704-d102…

The hotel is cheap and not reputable. You should not generalize your experience in this hotel and conclude that this happens everywhere in Bandung or Indonesia.

St. Gallen...
Destination Expert
for Bandung
Level Contributor
1,891 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

<<The hotel is cheap and not reputable. You should not generalize your experience in this hotel and conclude that this happens everywhere in Bandung or Indonesia.>>

Thanks for the link Radjaff.. Don't think I will recommend that hotel to anyone.. Look very shabby from the outside.. :)

Cheers

Edited: 4:02 am, April 26, 2012
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

I am not surprised. OP booked the hotel using third party website (directwithhotels.com) For a seasoned travelers, it's a kinda risky hotel booking method and that's why direct booking with the hotel is much more recommended. Unfortunately, the hotel that OP stayed is just abysmal enough to be a hotel by itself

KL
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

I thought I’d soften my language but apology for being honest, anyway. Do you mean all TA readers would stay at Hilton or Papandayan Hotel? Do I have to forget about this if casualty happens in no star hotels? It happens in Amaroosa as well but luckily that person double check with hotel and the room was not available. He was given a bad room anyway, after booking.com dealt with hotel.

I booked an acceptable suite room in Cihampelas 2 via directwithhotels.com. It’s not directwithhotels’s fault, (they quickly contacted me after read my review) not even my fault for choosing cheap hotel. Booking with directwithhotels was link from hotel's website. I could get bigger & nicer room in Ubud for that room rate. I’m just comparing, don’t be so defensive on this statement. Ubud, Bali is located in Indonesia, anyway.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,307 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

MccKL, hello.

1/ sorry about your bad experience and spoiled vacation

2 but... to be honest you`ve chosen the wrong hotel and wrong way to book. Both WRONG issues resulted the situation which everyone prefers to avoid during the travel.

3/ If a traveler comes to the forum BEFORE anything happen to him/ her, to verify travel details and check the accommodation choices, it`s usually avoidable - we suggest to change a hotel etc. YES, not everyone stays in Hilton ( but i wish THIS to everyone), but WE (TA people) tend to recommend the properties we are SURE about and NOT sorry afterward.

4/ anyway... we THANK you for sharing the info with us. The hotel is a garbage list from now on.................

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

The problem is not because of you are choosing the budget hotel or made booking with third party. but you should consider the risk on making reservation through certain booking channel. it is a worldwide phenomenon, not typical in Indonesia. of course you might also argue that certain destination's hotel supply is being monopolized by third party, but Bandung is a big city and hotels there have several booking channel. You just need to be careful and factor out all possibilities of the risk that might surface. Thank you again for your clarification and hope this case serve as an example for other travelers.

KL
Level Contributor
33 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

Hi Schonefeld,

You and other Bandung experts had guided me before I went to the trip. My family asked me to buy ticket before I found this forum and after reading all your tips, I really tried my best to avoid difficulties such as; leave early in the morning at 6 am to Kawah Putih on Saturday to avoid traffic jam. I chose a reputable car rental company based on your recommendation and many more.

The only thing that I had to disobey is; taking angkutan. It happened when no taxis were available on our last day in Bandung, due to heavy rain (the weather in Bandung is unpredictable on April). I took some precaution and chose empty angkutan or ladies only inside and luckily no bad thing happen. My auntie looked excited since it’s her first time taking angkutan (me too! but I was anxious). However, I still don’t like angkutan since my head always stucked at the door when disembarked from it.

I have also learnt that Bandung is not for budget traveler.

Many thanks for all your guides.

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
53,307 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel Disaster: Beware, Bandung travelers.

YOu`re most welcome

and convey my kindest regards to your family.

Once again i`m sorry about your negative experience................