We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planting Rice

Which Bandung hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Thornton
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Planting Rice

Hello!!

I have a strange question, but I will be going to Bandung in November with my daughter. She is really interested in learning to plant rice while there. Do they even plant rice in November? Also, is there any farms or places where tourists can even learn to do such a thing?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planting Rice

Planting rice depends on the season and the variant of rice that each farmer grows. However, if you are interested to planting the rice and see how traditional people lives, you can always go to the cultural village which designed to accommodate tourists and open all year round (the planting rice experience here is as real as how the farmers do it, but it won't be counted for production). One of the cultural village example is "Desa Wisata Sari Bunihayu" http://www.desawisata-saribunihayu.com/ (website is in Indonesian, use google translate for translation to English) It is located at Subang, around 2 hours drive from Bandung

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore
Level Contributor
47,041 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planting Rice

<<where tourists can even learn to do such a thing?>>

Process is rather dirty and involves health risk ( say.... water snakes). Are you sure you`d like you daughter doing this??????

Australia
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Planting Rice

Hi Mongoshrdr,

If you wish to see this and even participate you could do a homestay programe in Cianjur with Yudi Sujana and family http://www.cianjuradventure.com/

and I am sure Yudi could arrnage for you to see rice planting first hand.

Have known Yudi and family since Sept 2000 when I went to participate in his programme and do volunteer teaching at the local schools.

Pamela.

Thornton
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planting Rice

Cirque - Thank you so much for the link....i have sent a message and very quickly recieved a reply. they stated that I have to have at least 30 people in my group in order to participate. So that is off the list.

Schonefeld - i have raised the dangers to her, but being a teenager she can be quite stubborn lol....she stated "this is a rare opportunity for me to have my wish come true....please" .... well i gave in..so now i'm looking for a place to learn to plant rice. Thank you for your concerns, well appreciated it!

Pamela - WOW!! this look awesome!!! get to experience the true culture! Thank you so much for the link...I will be contacting them shortly!

Thanks again everyone for your feedback! Your time and knowledge is very very well appreciated!

Edited: 12:53 pm, March 27, 2012
bandung
Level Contributor
209 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planting Rice

Hallo,

You can read this : www.jendela-alam.com and

…blogspot.com/2011/…

Edited: 8:16 am, April 05, 2012
6. Re: Planting Rice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:38 am, April 07, 2013