We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bandung to Yogyakarta

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Bandung to Yogyakarta

Hi all,

I have booked my next holiday in Java. I am staying in Bandung for a few days then going to Yogyakarta. I was wondering if anyone has some up to date information to help me out.

From what I've read the best way to go to Yogyakarta will be with the train. I have heard Lodaya is best at the moment. Probably going Executif Lodaya Pagi. How much will this cost? When do I need to book it? Can I book the train when I first get to Bandung? Can I book the train on the day I want to leave? Is the train non-smoking, as I prefer non-smoking? Are there other trains that may be better?

If I have problems organising a train, is it possible to organise a car from Bandung to Yogyakarta? How much would this cost and where could I organise it?

Any other information and advice that can be offered on this will be great, as it is my first time attempting this.

Thanks

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
124 reviews
1. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

Train Ride between Bandung and Yogyakarta

The best train is the all-executive class train; in this case is either Turangga or Argo Wilis. Lodaya also has executive class carriage, but it also carries Business class carriages (Business class is of lower class than executive).

Turangga and Argo Wilis cost Rp230,000 per seat. While executive seat on Lodaya cost Rp190,000. Executive class trains are all non-smoking and fully air-conditioned.

You can check train schedule at http://www.kereta-api.co.id/ (in Indonesian only)

Advance booking or not: depending on your travel dates. If you are travelling during peak holiday season (moreover on weekend), advance booking is recommended. Otherwise, there will be plenty of seats to be purchased on the spot (suggest to buy ticket as soon as you arrived in any city in Java).

NOTE: train ticket fare excluding meal. The cabin attendant will pass around the cabin during the ride offering meal in such a way that give impression to the guest that the meal is complimentary. After you finish eating the meal, the attendant will charge you. If you prefer not to eat, better decline the offer in the first place. Others have complained that this might be some sort of scam, but this things happen onboard train ride in Indonesia.

Other means of transport: taking flight will take you to the destination faster. Merpati Nusantara and Wings Air (subsidiary of Lion Air) fly this route. Book the ticket through Indonesian travel agent as online booking is only available for Indonesian-issued credit cardholder.

Edited: 11:53 am, September 18, 2011
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

Thanks for the advice.

Was planning on taking Executive class. So will use either the Argo or Lodaya. I am travelling from Bandung to Yogyakarta on 22 January, which is a Sunday. Not sure if that is Peak holiday season or a problem as it is weekend. I get to Bandung on the 18 January, but probably can't pre-purchase ticket until the 19th. Will that be early enough?

Will keep the meal thing in mind. Will likely get meal anyway, but will ask how much before hand.

I want to avoid flying on this occasion. I reaaly want to take the train or car, because I want a chance to see the Indonesian / Javan country side.

thanks for your help so far.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
124 reviews
3. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

23 January 2012 is tentatively a Chinese New Year which is also one of public holiday in Indonesia. The weekend will saw more crowd than typical weekend. However, I think it's good if you can buy the ticket in advance on 19th. However, depending on the point of entry in Java (unless you take non-stop international flight to Bandung), you can - let's say - buy the train ticket too once you reach Jakarta (unless you're arriving at Jakarta airport and proceed directly to Bandung without staying somewhere in Jakarta city).

Meal thing: I'd suggest to prepack your meal instead. You can buy fast food or anything from hotel/restaurant as train meal is nothing to rave about.

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

I am coming from Australia to Bali on the 17th January for one night then going to Bandung on the 18th but flying to Bandung in evening. So, if I get ticket on 19th it should be alright?

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
7,595 posts
124 reviews
5. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

I can't really give you the exact assuring answer, but just cross your fingers there will still be train tickets left (and I'm pretty sure there will be).

Bandung, Indonesia
Level Contributor
36 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

you can try bandung jogja travel by car. on the way you can visit and stay a few days. last week I went to Jogja from bandung and visit beautiful places and tried a few games.

This is my itinerary:

starting from Bandung to Pangandaran (5 hour drive) in Pangandaran I stay one night at Batu Karas. in this place you can try body rafting, it is very challenging and you can enjoying the beauty of the green canyon. then after that went to Dieng (5 hour drive) I stayed there one night. Dieng is a plateau, there you will see a very beautiful mountain views. after that went to Wonosobo and try rafting on the river Sedayu. and the last drive 3 hour to jogjakarta.

Java, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,853 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

Hi,

Tickets are best bought from the train station themselves. Fares are prominently displayed. Just fill up an order form, and go to the counter. Do not be swayed by the touts.

The trains are very cold. Make sure you have a sweater handy. AC settings are cold and suspended animation. Nothing less. The food is edible, so long as you don't mind the ubiquitous nasi goreng with the egg on the top.

Cheers and have a great trip.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
8. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

Hi, Do you have any idea how many days I should spend if I want to travel Jakarta-Bandung-Jogjakarta-Solo-Surabaya? What is the best transport for traveling and what are places i should visit? Thanks you

Jakarta
Level Contributor
61,585 posts
120 reviews
9. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

liyarushi,

1/ you hijacked the OP`s thread.

2/ Please start your own thread in order not to confuse your travel details with topic stated in the initial post.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Bandung to Yogyakarta

owh sorry..this is my first time using this applications..piece!!

Get answers to your questions about Bandung