We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st Timer to Indonesia

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
1st Timer to Indonesia

Hi,

This is my 1st time travelling to Indonesia. Plan to travel this end-May09, 3 nites in Bandung, 2 nites in Jakarta & 2 nites in Jogja . I'll be going with my wife & 2 kids (2 & 4) plus my parents (age 60++).

Really need your help to give me your best piece of advice on my dilemma below:

1. Is it worth to pay good hotel like Sheraton in Bandung bcoz my family very particular abt cleanliness & room condition ?

2. Is Sheraton nearby any FOs ? If not, is there any equivalent hotel that I can consider ?

3. Which FO are the best to shop for authentic brands ? How bout for kids ?

4. Which one is better to shop for ladies things, e.g. telekung, textile, scarf, batik, etc.., Pasar Baru (Bandung) or Tanah Abang (Jakarta) ?

5. I read some of them said that it's ok to bring kids to FOs in Bandung, but some of them discourage. So, how ? I've already bought air ticket. What's the best way to handle kids in Bandung.

TQ.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
821 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st Timer to Indonesia

1&2.Sheraton up the hills, nice view, a little far out. Have a look at Luxton, Hotel Geulis (small nice boutique hotel), Holiday Inn (in front of Luxton)or cheaper ones...Grand Serela, G Seriti. Google it for the hotel website. But then Sheraton should be ok if you hv car n driver.

3. Walk around Dago and Riau area, many FO's selling similar stuff kids/adults/male/female or Rumah Mode.

4.Tanah Abang is maybe 4-5 times the size of Pasar Baru, content more or less the same.

5.Same as taking your children down Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman or Bukit Bintang.... minus the hot humid temperature. With your 2 & 4 yr old, a good idea to have hotel in the middle of FO area but bad idea to bring them to P Baru (similar to a day out to Pasar Borong Selayang - minus the smell and wet floor)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
187 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st Timer to Indonesia

Sheraton Bandung is a good hotel. I stayed there for a couple of months while working on a project in Bandung - would definitely recommend it as a business hotel. They seemed to be more security conscious than the other hotels our team evaluated.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st Timer to Indonesia

Thanx Mat Asri.

I was made to understand that Luxton is a new hotel & don't hv much facilities like spa. Can u recommend good (no hanky-panky) spa within the vicinity of Luxton ?

Cheers.

Shah Alam, Malaysia
Level Contributor
821 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st Timer to Indonesia

dont worry too much about distance, Bdg is not a big city, you can reach most places within 15-20 minutes, just call the Bluebird cab.

for spa u can read my answer on another thread.. but for u i post it again here;

Spa - Heritage Chic at Jl Raden Patah, Elegant Spa, Delta Spa at Paskal Hyper Square (for men), and Da Vinci Day Spa at Braga Walk.

I read somewhere that Marthe Tilaar also has a branch in Bdg

5. Re: 1st Timer to Indonesia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:42 am, November 04, 2009