We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baliem Valley

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Baliem Valley

There aren't too many reviews on Baliem Valley. I went there for three days and was based out of Wamena. Here are a few comments to help other travellers plan their trip:

- tours tend to be outrageously priced. Make sure you shop around before deciding.

- while the area is quite remote, it is easily accessed with Trigana Air flights from Jayapura (3-4 times a day).

- on-line reviews for Baliem Pilamo don't do it justice. Some of them might have been written by people who were on a very expensive tour and thought they were getting a 5-star hotel. Especially in the new wing, it is a perfectly acceptable mid-range hotel. Service can be a bit slack though.

- while it will increase the costs of your tour, a pig feast & dance with a Dani tribe is a must. If you can, stay one night in a village. This was definitely the highlight of my trip.

- Putra Papua, run by Edison, is a very professional tour operator based in Wamena. It is rightfully recommended by Lonely Planet

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baliem Valley

Hi Gaba,

Can you please let me know the contact of Edison in Putra Papua?

thank you.

Martina

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
28 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baliem Valley

Hello Martina

Edison Meliala, info@putrapapuatours.com

Have a great trip,

Olivier

Enkhuizen
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Baliem Valley

We have had a different experience with Mr. Edison and his company - Putrapapua Tours and can't say that Putrapapua Tours is a trustworthy company.

We would like to WARN everybody, who may have plans to use "services" of Putrapapua Tours. The owner - Mr. Edison Meliala is a thief! Having booked a tour with him - we lost ALL OUR MONEY!

Beware! - Putrapapua Tours is a FRAUDULENT establishment. They false documents, cheat in their confirmations and, after getting paid, simply disconnect the phones!

If you would like to have a safe trip and a reliable service agent - PLEASE never consider Putrapapua Tours - this is a totally unprofessional establishment with a pickpocket owner "managing" it. Avoid like plaque!

CRIMINALS!

If you want a professional and reliableTour company - never use PUTRAPAPUA TOURS!

Andre and Valerie

Enkhuizen, The Netherlands

4. Re: Baliem Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:25 am, December 18, 2016
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baliem Valley

Hi guys,

Thanks for your messages. In the end we didn't take Putrapapua, nor did we use Edison. We trekked with a guy called Penius, who was OK except that he only took a few bottles of water for 7 people (including porters) for 4 days. So whoever is planning to travel to Baliem Valley and reads this message, please make sure you have enough water before you leave Wamena. Alternatively, take water purification tables in case you have to drink water from the river!

Martina

Edited: 2:30 am, July 10, 2014
Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baliem Valley

Hi,

Regarding drinking water, I would be very surprised if any of the guides took enough bottles to cover your trip. Just think of the weight for 7 people for 4 days. You would need more porters to carry it and then of course the cost goes up.

When we trekked our guide just boiled the stream or river water (air rebus) and when it cooled we drank that. Yes it was brown at times and tasted of smoke, but it was fine.

As an alternative to purification tablets (and plastic bottle disposal), if you can find it your country, then try the Watertogo bottles - www.watertogo.eu

We took one and it was most useful

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
11 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baliem Valley

We are planning on going to Papua - family of 4. Did you hire your guide when you got to Papua? Was it difficult to get there - were flights delayed? We are searching the web for agencies and were concerned about posts about scams. Papua-Tours is $1200 per person for the Baliem Valley Festival 5 day tour which seems totally outrageous.

If you have contact info for your guide, it would be greatly appreciated.

Bolton, UK
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baliem Valley

Hi,

I'm currently travelling again, but yes we hired our guide when we arrived. They will find you in the arrivals shed when you land in Wamena.

Trigana flights are pure chaos, so be prepared for anything and everything.

The festival is very popular, so prices will rise and accommodation will be booked out well in advance. As an alternative, check out the Sentani Lake Festival. We were the only tourists there.

No details of our guide, but his name was Wendy and he liked money :)

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
52,546 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baliem Valley

< and he liked money :)>>>

why am i not surprised?....LOL

Jakarta, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Baliem Valley

Hi Everyone,

Could anybody please share the approx price for Tour service for Balim Feast?

My budget is approx 300-500 USD, is it possible to find a tour service if i book directly @ Wamena?

thx

Get answers to your questions about Papua