There aren't too many reviews on Baliem Valley. I went there for three days and was based out of Wamena. Here are a few comments to help other travellers plan their trip:
- tours tend to be outrageously priced. Make sure you shop around before deciding.
- while the area is quite remote, it is easily accessed with Trigana Air flights from Jayapura (3-4 times a day).
- on-line reviews for Baliem Pilamo don't do it justice. Some of them might have been written by people who were on a very expensive tour and thought they were getting a 5-star hotel. Especially in the new wing, it is a perfectly acceptable mid-range hotel. Service can be a bit slack though.
- while it will increase the costs of your tour, a pig feast & dance with a Dani tribe is a must. If you can, stay one night in a village. This was definitely the highlight of my trip.
- Putra Papua, run by Edison, is a very professional tour operator based in Wamena. It is rightfully recommended by Lonely Planet