We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

Old Lyme...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

We will be in Ubud in March and have been looking at Hotel Tjampuhan as it looks so charming, and Tegal sari as the reviews are so good. We can only get garden view rooms at Tegal Sari. Is the location of one much better than the other? I am not sure where the major roads are and what is "central". Is Tjampuhan much more impersonal? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Australia
Level Contributor
12,777 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

The better rooms at the Tegal Sari are those with rice field views. Try Greenfields next door if TS is full. The Tjampuan is still a charming and authentic Balinese property and the river views are lovely. The rooms are spacious and have large balconies. You are within similar walking distance to Monkey Forest road with either hotels so eating out is easy. I would be happy with either.:)

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,114 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

You can't go much wrong with either hotel. Both are tried and true local "favorites." the Tjampuhan has that historical background which gives it a certain flair. Tegal Sari is towards the southern end of Ubud closer to the Pengosekan "eat street" area, and Tjampuhan is towards the Northwest, near the Campuhan/Sanggingan "eat street" area, each with their own excellent restaurant options.

Hotels in Bali are never really "impersonal" as the Balinese are exceptional lovely hosts. The only kind of hotel where you might encounter "impersonal" hospitality would be if you boooked into one of the new "city hotels" springing up, but the local boutique hotels are still the vast majority in Ubud region.

Ubud, Indonesia
Level Contributor
2,452 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

If you stay there or not, you MUST go to the extraordinary spa at the Tjampuhan Hotel, with its most extraordinary carvings, hot stream and cold plunge pools.. Most 'spas' in Bali are just a few masseuses in ordinary rooms with a bit of marble and a few flowers around, but the Tjampuhan one is like nothing else in the world, let alone Ubud. 7 times each in the hot and cold water and you know you're alive!

Mlbourne
Level Contributor
134 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

I am staying now at Greenfields . Last year I stayed at Tegal Sari but there was a lot of construction noise so I decided to stay next door at Greenfields this time.

I walked through Tegal Sari this afternoon and there seemed to be building works going on all around it .

Greenfields is very quiet & peaceful . I also prefer the pool areas here .

London
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

The Tjampuhan is not impersonal at all and its location on the side of the ravine is pretty special. The accommodation, restaurants, spa etc are all dotted about at different levels. It's quite sprawling, something you wouldn't guess from the small roadside entrance. You'll certainly feel like you're on an exotic foreign holiday if you stay there.

Redmond, Washington
Level Contributor
499 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

Hotel Tjampuhan is indeed beautifully laid out but I personally did not like my room

It was way too dark and felt claustrophic to me

Service not as as good as TS either

Level Contributor
394 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

I haven't stayed at Tegal Sari but I love staying at Hotel Tjampuhan&Spa. It is in a great location and the river is lovely - it is very peaceful. We have always been happy with our rooms, breakfast and staff.

Old Lyme...
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

Thanks so much for the advice. Tegal Sari let us know it might be noisy so we are choosing Tjampuhan. Can't wait!

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

Try Green Field hotel next door to Tegal Sari It is fantastic

Tjampuhan is on the river and some rooms can be a bit mouldy

I have stayed at all 3 of these places and Greenfield is very similar to Tegal Sari in price and style From $31 US to $130 US The Bali Sukat rooms overlooking rice paddies for $55 US are great as are the Bali Adat rooms at $95 US These rooms have a bali style Other rooms on the property are more modern

cheers

Mark

10. Re: Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa or Tegal sari in Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2016