We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traditional experience in Ubud

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Traditional experience in Ubud

We have been to Bali twice already including Ubud. We have explored the Monkey Temple and the main roads there but we have never stayed overnight in Ubud. This time we have 2 nights to stay there and are looking for a traditional, relaxing experience in or around Ubud (up to 15 mins outside Ubud is OK). Do you know of any traditional places we can stay either hotel or other accomodation such as bed and breakfast or even someone's house? Cost is not an issue. Also, please recommend any good places, restaurants, walks, tours, shops, we should check out in Ubud or surrounding area (up to 15 mins outside Ubud is OK).

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,092 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

For traditional accommodation you might like to have a look at the Alam properties, Alam Shanti, Alam Jiwa etc. Also Murni's houses and Honeymoon Guesthouses. There are literally hundreds of homestays and small guest houses. Just go to Trip Advisor, Ubud accommodation page and choose B&Bs and Inns.

If you havn't seen any of the various dances the ones held at the Palace are very popular, you can watch while you have dinner at the Lotus restaurant next door. There are several wonderful galleries and the Goa Gajah and Tampaksiring temples are close by - also the Tegalalang rice terraces.

Check out the TA pages for restaurant recommendations. A visit to the Tourist information office at the top of Monkey Forest Road can help with self guided walks but there are guided rice paddie, herb and bird walks available - google will help :-)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

My husband & I loved the Honeymoon Guesthouse. Very lovely & spacious bedroom, bathroom, & terrace. Beautiful pool. Breakfast was served on our private terrace. The food is wonderful. I had a massage & a flower petal bath in my room. Wonderful. I also, took several of the cooking classes on site. Really an in depth experience into Balinese culture. The Casa Luna Restaurant & the Indus Restaurant both belong to the owners, too. The Indus in one of my favorite restaurants in Ubud.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

Do you mean 15 minutes from downtown Ubud or 15 minutes out of Ubud proper?

There are tons of small places to stay in a Balinese family compound, but the small very traditional ones are typically not found on the internet, and they will usually be called penginapan, losmen or even the english language homestay or sometimes even villa, a word that is way overused in Indonesia these days. Since you only have 2 days then I suggest you forget about actual traditional accomodation and go with one of the hotels that are mentioned above...or one of the many others that can be booked online or have a website.

Things to see and do: Ubud is famous because of the traditional culture of music, dance, handicrafts and eleborate ceremonies..most of this you might not see because of such a short stay, but you could get lucky and be here when a ceremony, procession, wedding, or something else is going on at a temple or on the road. Your accomodation will be able to help you find out and also to help you dress properly if you do plan to attend a temple ceremony..the kebaya, stagen, sarong and sash and how to put it on correctly.

Also as mentioned above, there are about 65 different gamelen and dance performances every week in various venues around Ubud district...agian, your hotel will have the list, or any of the drivers know the schedule by heart, or you can pick it up at the Tourist Information Office at the Ubud tourist info center across from the Wantilan Ubud., They also have maps, tour info, and so forth available there. Many of the dance performances that are not walking distance from Ubud Wantilan have free shuttles from that office as well.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
547 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

#3 -- Thanks for that informative post, @Ubudpuppy. You were so helpful last year in planning my trip. I will be spending 6 nights in Ubud again towards the middle of next month.

>>"Also as mentioned above, there are about 65 different gamelen and dance performances every week in various venues around Ubud district..."

Last July I went to a different performance every night. Couldn't get enough of them. Plan to do more this year.

>>"Many of the dance performances that are not walking distance from Ubud Wantilan have free shuttles from that office as well."

I didn't know that. Very useful. I'm a single traveler, so taking a shuttle makes lots of sense.

Have already made flight arrangements (from Kunming) and booked my hotel (Taman Indrakila again.) Beginning my pre-trip reading, and came across this thread. Will be posting questions soon. Glad to find that you are still helping travelers with such things.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,555 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

Hi Z! I remember you from last year...has it been that long already? wow...

Hope you have a successful trip...Taman Indrakila now has a restaurant Elephant located on it's premises...run by a foreigner but not sure where he is from...good to try, as well as Pulau Kelapa across the street...

Plus you will be horrified to see there is a huge commercial building next door...hopefully will not disturb your enjoyment of the hotel.. there is only one business there and I think it's not doing well...otherwise you will find the area still basicaly the same...

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
84 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

Another hotel which I would recommend is Alam Indah - it is a small hotel situated right behind Monkey Forest and overlooks a valley. There is a lovely ambience to this place and the staff are lovely. You can walk to town via the scooter track that runs alongside Monkey Forest or you can get the shuttle bus in and out of town whenever required. I recommend Hibiscus room (no aircon) or Mawar Room (aircon) - both have fantastic views - Hibiscus has a lovely balcony. However, if you feel you would need aircon I would go for Mawar Room. I have stayed in both and they are lovely rooms with great views.

The walk to Sari Organic is lovely and the food at Sari Organic is delicious - about 30 minute walk from the market corner. Campuhan Ridge walk is worth doing - you walk along the ridge overlooking valleys & takes about an hour each way, or you could ask the staff at Karsa Café if they could organize a driver to take you back to Ubud. Another area which is nice to walk around is Penestanan - small shops, cafe's, and rice field areas tucked away behind the streets.

I did a fantastic morning walk along the Ayung River with a guide (Yandira) - this is one of the best walks if have done (half day) - the scenery was really beautiful and varied & I learnt a lot about the Bali way of life and culture. The walk ended at Bongkasa Village with a delicious meal at Yandiras home. If this interests you, Yandira's contact is yandira77@yahoo.com Mobile 081 2398 287. Yandira is a trek guide as well as a driver. This walk may not suit your schedule, but it might suit you on another trip.

If you go to the Tegalalang rice terraces (20 mins from Ubud) you may consider going to Guning Kawi Sebatu (Water Temple Complex) as it is not far from Tegallalang.

A few of favourite restaurants are: Sari Organic (lunch), Casa Luna (great coffee, cake & meals), Warung Semesta.

Have a wonderful trip

Newcastle
Level Contributor
87 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

We did a Halo Bike tour when we were in Ubud 2 years ago which was fantastic. The tour finishes at the family house, where they cook everyone a beautiful buffet lunch. While we were eating lunch , they were showing us the rooms that they were in the process of completing for homestays.If the hospitality to stay is as good as their tours and lunch I would certainly recommend to look them up.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
547 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

#5 -- @Ubudpuppy --

>>"Plus you will be horrified to see there is a huge commercial building next door...hopefully will not disturb your enjoyment of the hotel.."

I remember the construction. Seems as though not much market research or planning goes into these projects.

Am in the process of summarizing what I did last year so I can post a request for advice on what to do this time, building on that foundation.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
14 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

Wow, thanks for the tips everyone! Now I wish I could stay longer. Perhaps we will go for 3-4 days instead... My wife is interested in doing yoga for an hour or so in Ubud at a location or room with a nice view :) If you know of any such places please let me know. I will also revisit this thread to post our experiences after the trip.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
504 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traditional experience in Ubud

PiRo76: I have doing research for our up-coming trip for a one month stay in the Ubud area this coming winter. Here are two yoga studios that appealed to me. They both have lovely settings. I plan to give them both a try.:) Namaste

www.intuitiveflow.com

www.taksuyoga.com