We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubud to Gili Island

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
220 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
Ubud to Gili Island

Is it possible to make this trip to catch a speedboat the same day or do I need to stay overnight in Amed?

Is Amed the best port to leave from?

Thanks in advance

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Hii Ucipass ,

All the speedboat company will provide you a free suttle from - to padang bai harbour , this service also cover Ubud area . If you are in Ubud you can book trough tourist information around that area ..

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Read some of the reports about going on the boat. Scary stuff. You can fly from Bali to Lombok for $30.

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Hii freogal

Good day ! Would you please explain what is the scary stuff for speedboat to Lombok or Gili Island ?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
14,194 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Read Mr Sinter's report on this boat trip posted on the 29th October 2013. This is only one of many similar stories that I've heard.

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,737 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

From Ubud to Padang Bai it takes about an hour. Opt for the Gilicat who have a good reputation; they should pick you up early from your hotel in Ubud, transport to PB, load your luggage then off you go to Gili T.

They handily provide you with a small bottle of water and a sick bag.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
220 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Sick bag??? OK. What is the door-to-door time difference if I opt for the boat rather than drive back to the airport and take the interisland?

Boat is Drive to port + Boat Trip versus Drive to Airport + Wait + Flight + Lombok to port + Boat Trip

Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Hii there

Last month during our trip to Gili using fast boat , we were embark at 10:30 at padangbai and arrive at Teluk mara ( Lombok ) after one hour fifteen minutes approximetly to drop some passenger who disembark on Lombok , than continue to Gili air arrive after 20 minutes and than to Gili T we arrive at 13 : 30 ..

Why you should bother to drive from Ubud to airport for 2 hours and wait and when you arive in Lombok you will need a taxi to get to Teluk Mara/ bangsal port for 1 - 2 hours approx to catch a boat to Gili ? ?

Edited: 5:46 am, March 08, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Lombok
Level Contributor
3,074 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

The boat trip is across 60km + of open ocean, opting for this trip should be done with an eye on the weather and the time of year. You could not pay me enough to go by boat anywhere during Novemeber/December through March. At other times of year I would take a good look at the weather charts to determine what the swell is like and whether the wind is against the swell. If conditions are ok, then you can expect an ok trip like that described by Bli M above. Otherwise, the trip can take a very long time and be very unpleasant. I also recommend you don't book a return as you may find yourself flying back and wasting the ticket, again depending on weather and time of year.

9. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, March 08, 2014
Edited: 6:35 am, March 08, 2014
Denpasar, Indonesia
Level Contributor
261 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ubud to Gili Island

Dear Sudiah

You are right , but the weather here is absolutly great . And this boat is used for tourists trasportation service , they are using international safety standard equipment , and I am sure they will closed the service due to bad weather ..