We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

insect phobia

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
insect phobia

I have an intense fear of beetles, crickets large spiders etc., I also would not like to share a room with a gecko. Mosquitos love me. I would really like to go to Bali. I have a friend who goes to Ubud and says she has nover had a problem all she has seen have been a few ants, and she stays in places for $15.00 per night. What do yoou advise? I see on here some horror stories and don't know what my best option is

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,699 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: insect phobia

How in the world did Flores get into this thread? The OP was asking about Ubud and other places in Bali?

BTW, I see more large insects and spiders, etc in the eastern islands such as Flores than in other parts of Indonesia, including spiders...some misleading posts here...

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Wellington
Level Contributor
624 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: insect phobia

The only time I've had cockroaches in a room was in a relatively expensive place (Honeymoon) with a garden bathroom. I like to sleep with windows open and have sometimes had flying insects come through windows overnight. I had a week in Ubud in January in a room with a thatch ceiling and didn't see any more insects than usual. I'd suggest a western-style room with aircon where you can have your windows shut, and ask the hotel not to give you a thatch ceiling if that is worrying you.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Ubud
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: insect phobia

Absolutely get a western style place - photos on yhe net will give you an indication. I've seen everything described in this thread inside but really it's fine for me. A western hotel shouldn't give you as much trouble and the dry season in ubud is much better mosquito wise than Aus I've found.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: insect phobia

Thank you everybody for your replies. I have taken your advice and have booked rms. with airconditioning. plaster ceilings and no outdoor showers - although they do look enchanting - but didn't want to take the risk. Done all I can so now I will keep my fingers crossed. Didn't want to miss out on any more experiences due to this.

Netherlands
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: insect phobia

Hi there, dont worry and enjoy there.

I know how you feel, i am terrified for spiders (also smaller ones...) and i really worry always before i travel and want to check the same way you do now. But i can honestly say that in Bali i did not had any problem with them and i stayed in some very cheap accomodations. I like rooms that can be closed (screens before the windows, real doors/windows) or if thats not possible a mosquito net is good for a peaceful night too :-). Bali, and also ubud, was clean, and there is so many accomodation that you can always go to a next one if the first one is not what you need. For the same reason i try to avoid the outdoor bathrooms, i dont want to have an encounter with 'something' in the night if i have to go to the toilet... The one time i had an outdoor shower, (on a tropical island in thailand) i got a huge spider in my room... So, yes it looks stunning, but go for closed if that makes you feel comfortable. My boyfriend gets used already to my needs. I dont care about luxury but it has to be closed haha :-)

Have fun!!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: insect phobia

Thank you so much I am looking forward to it. Glad to know someone else suffers from the same fears.

27. Re: insect phobia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 15, 2014