We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temples to see outside Ubud

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
75 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Temples to see outside Ubud

Hi!

I noticed in my hotel's offer on possible day trips, Pura Besakih was not mentioned. I have no sense of distances, but I am assuming it is because it's just too far.

Which temples around Ubud would be interrsting? Or alternatively, has anyone taken a particularly interesting day trip outside Ubud?

TIA

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,729 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

Some tourists report problems at Besakih as they force guides upon you and some ask for rather high fees.

Major Temples around Ubud:

Tirta Empul at Tampaksiring

Gunung Kawi (Water Temple) at Sebatu

Goa Gajah

Sasih Temple at Pejeng (has the Moon of Pejeng)

also:

Yeh Pulu - near Goa Gajah, not a temple, but a wall of ancient stone reliefs

Gunung Kawi - tombs or royal monuments - about 300 steps to go down and back up

If you're going down towards the coast:

Goa Lawah - Bat Cave Temple

If you're heading to Kintaman:

Pura Batur temple, the ssecond most important temple in Bali

If you're heading to Bedugul you can see the Temple in the Lake

Almost any temple can be worth a visit, expecially if they are decorated for a ceremony

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

Gunung Kawi (Water Temple) at Sebatu is one of them but there is another one which is seriously awesome also called Gunung Kawi. which is the one where the monks have carved up the cliffs and made some impressive monuments. Trip before last we did both of them and were suitable impressed.

indo.com/featured_article/gunung_kawi.html

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
75 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

Thanks to both for your help!

Perth
Level Contributor
825 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

We have been to Besakih Temple,it was interesting to look at and the views are fantastic from there but a couple of things put a sour taste on it. They don't rent sarongs there so either take your own or you will have to buy one from the market stalls there. They also try to get you to take a guide and they will charge you a price for it, also the guide will want a tip at the end like ours did! .

It is a nice temple to look at, very big and my advice to anyone wanting to see it is take your own sarong and go without a guide.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
75 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

Ok! Good to know!

I might go to Bakasit in a couple of days but all those things I have heard about it - along what you are saying - make me question whether it is worth the stress.

I have enough stress in my "regular" to avoid anything even remotely stressful during my vacation!

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
75 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

*regular life I meant

Hepburn Springs...
Level Contributor
728 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

Can anyone recommend a temple I can visit , where there are not steps/ stairs to access, staying in Ubud

Thank you

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
10,302 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

Pura Saraswati, right in downtown area, next to Lotus Cafe. Or the Ubud Pura Dalem (temple of the dead) where they have dance performances at night...one of my favorite places. Both right in downtown Ubud.

Also, there are many temples all over Bali, if you are driving around you will surely see some that look interesting to you. Every family compound has a temple, and every village has several. That's in addition to the larger well-known temples like Batur and Besakih. If you don't mind driving 20 minutes there is Taman Ayun in Mengwi..simple but easy access and lots of parking.

9. Re: Temples to see outside Ubud

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 24, 2013