We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

EU
Level Contributor
175 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

In/around Ubud?

And canvas shoes etc

i.e. Would it be safe if I packed less to go, and just bought some clothes, footwear directly in Ubud?

Trip will be in December

Thanks!

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

there is a lot of clothing and available but I never find anything that I can wear, and I live in Ubud! The footwear is not really stable enough for my feet, and to navigate the bad sidewalks you need good sandals with no high heels. You can go the entire time in Ubud with just one pair that you bring from home, and if you fine other sandals that are good, that's a bonus.

Clothing, it sort of depends on your size and style. It's easy to just wash out your laundry so you dn't need to bring much. Professional lauundry is inexpensive so you can easily do that as well. Ubud is uber casual but very modest ...nothing revealing or short, please. Good upscale places to shop for you could be Goddess on the Go or Biasa. For inexpensive tourist clothing you can find that anywhere..

Mentioned in this post
BIASA
BIASA
37 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
EU
Level Contributor
175 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

ubudpuppy

That is exactly the info I was after! Thankyou so much as always. I will rely on the packing on here mainly and if I find anything there that would be a bonus. Thanks also for the modesty advice, I was not sure how I should tailor it so am grateful for the tip. I will respect the local customs and preferences.

EUT

Wellington
Level Contributor
610 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

There are a number of shops selling light little silk dresses long and short and tops with a batik style print which are quite cheap and often multisize (elastic across the back etc.). They are easy to wash out and dry really quickly. A couple of branches going down Monkey Forest Road, one around the corner at the bottom, and a cheaper one on Jalan Hanoman - sorry I can't remember the names. These have become a real staple for me when travelling in asia

Edited: 7:17 pm, December 03, 2012
Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
8,312 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

Drying time for washing can sometimes be problematic this time of year, so always have one basic outfit in reserve, or you might need to go out still damp:)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
801 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

Does this mean the laudry standards of washing n drying be affected during Dec?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
967 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

Another vote for Biasa - the lightest cottons imaginable.

I find a pair of camper or Birkenstock sandals is all I wear. I've started just taking one pair. I like to pack light!

Mentioned in this post
BIASA
BIASA
37 Reviews
Seminyak, Indonesia
EU
Level Contributor
175 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

Cool! Thanks meg and radames - super.

I have heard about the Dec humidity too will take note, herc.

Can't believe its almost time after all the fussin' and crazin' I did for THIS trip!

:)

Cheers

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
19,316 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

There are a couple of shops on Jl Hanoman that offer clothes made out of very light cotton, but upon checking out the shirts in my last visit I found them a little bit too sheer for my taste.

Go for natural cottons and linens back home and you'll be okay. One wear however and they may benefit from laundering at one of the many cheap laundries in Ubud.

For shoes, I personally prefer a very sturdy flip-flop/thong rather than an enclosed shoe in order to cope with the heat, but do watch where you're walking. The pavements are terrible, they can be slippy, or be seated badly so they flip if you step on the wrong bit, not to mention the broken ones where you get a funky whiff from the sewers below. Night time is worse where the unwary can go pavement surfing on the occasional bit of dog poo that you didn't see. I've seen people fall flat on their face because they didn't watch where they were going, so be careful out there.

EU
Level Contributor
175 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

Thanks happynoodle, I do have a pair of Teva sandals (open toed) which are great, but I had read that enclosed shoes are best...but hearing you say this, perhaps there is hope?!

Anyway I have never been to Bali/Ubud so the pavement advice is invaluable, I'll let my trav buddy know also.

Cheers,

EUT

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
11,619 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can I buy really light, natural fabric clothing to wear ?

I almost never wear enclosed toe shoes in Indonesia, and especially not in Bali. It's just too hot and humid to not let your toes breathe....especially in December. (very hot)

And, especially if you get caught in a big rainstorm you want to be able to drain your footwear quickly.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia