We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cool bars

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cool bars

I will be spending a day in Ubud next week and want to I check out a few cool bars and restaurant. The last time I went four years ago I couldn't find any of the places I had visited a couple of years prior.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
4,710 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cool bars

Bump! Me too!!

Leeds, UK
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
18,206 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cool bars

Laughing Buddha Bar on MF Road is always worth a look.

Also try XL Shisha Lounge, just next to the football field on MF Road. It has a distinctly Morrocan decor inside, but is a nice place for a few drinks and perhaps listen to some live music which is one a few nights a week. You can also indulge in a shisha if that's your thing (or Mac can make one using some bamboo, a coconut and some gaffer tape).

Edited: 2:37 am, October 20, 2012
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,065 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cool bars

We went to the jazz cafe last week, live music every night and is also a restaurant.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
78 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cool bars

On Goutama there is a great little bar owned by the casa Luna crew and very cool - http://www.casalunabali.com/bar-luna/

Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cool bars

Depends what you mean by cool...

There's a circular one in Penestanan now that's trying to be cool eg blue lighting.. Bar Luna (the one Clifden mentions is lively the nights they have 'literary nights'- discussions and presentations.. but isn't usually what people call a 'cool bar'. Usually a much older local/expat crew who are into books etc. They do have a pretty cheap happy hour for cocktails though and it's a pleasant place.

Boom Bar is down near Laughing Buddha on Monkey Forest Rd, has live music.

Jazz Cafe is pretty upmarket and expensive, but has good music and a nice garden.

But the cool one ie the funky one, the late night one, doesn't get going until 10 or so, vibe like a gurney loungeroom in an old hippy house, with the cool local boys that gets sweaty and gets down is probably Napa Urti. Upstairs in the same general area as Laughing Buddha... as expensive as Jazz Cafe for no particular reason. Has some reggae nights, some crazy psychedelic band. Take your chance..Look for the lit up 'penjor'.

Edited: 10:18 pm, October 21, 2012
Caloundra, Australia
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cool bars

Gurney?? That was supposed to be.. grungey...

Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cool bars

I am only taking a day trip so I will not be able to check out any night spots. I remember seeing one that had koi swiming through and around it. I have no idea where in Ubud this was.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
101 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cool bars

Have been looking for places to visit myself, came across this website - http://partynightsbali.com/barsubud.html

Sydney
Level Contributor
51 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cool bars

Awesome thank you

10. Re: Cool bars

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, October 23, 2013