We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

Perth
Level Contributor
142 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

Ok Ubud Lovers, what’s your likes and dislikes of our favourite Bali place.?For me it’s the cooler mountain type weather, the fantastic world class restaurants from A$3 to a few hundreds $. I love the greenness, the arty side of things and a great place to start off on day trips. Only one dislike is the traffic problems there with all the coaches and parked vehicles

Mentioned in this post
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

Ah but if you stay a few k's outside of Ubud you can skip around the traffic :).

My main dislike is those huge bus's. Why is goodness name would they allow a vehicle that is almost as wide as the road.

Likes, having a scooter and scooting around gridlocked bus's :). Hmm food is a big one, fireflies and Monkeys rate well for me also.

Perth
Level Contributor
142 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

I agree,

a local driver suggested that all coaches would park just out of town (not the scoccer field again ) and local drivers would ferry them in and out.SO less traffic and work for local drivers

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,345 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

Excellent idea but I would like metered taxis.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
22,182 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

I agree with the thoughts here. Really love going to Ubud, but the buses/coaches are a disaster for the area...when they're not hogging the road, they are double parked and spewing exhaust fumes out and suffocating us all.

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
1,311 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

Love the artisan shops and vibe

Love the quietness once all the day trippers have left

Love the food

Love the diversity of experience (I prefer staying central but love how a very short distance takes you out of the busy part of Ubud)

Love the culture

Don't like the buses

Don't like the traffic

Don't like the potholes or blocked footpaths

Don't really like the little bugs that fly into my face (but understand that is part and parcel for where I am)

That's all for now :)

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
151 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

I love the whole ambience, and of course the food!

But some of the motorbike touts can be pesky, as can the drivers in general. Sometimes I just want to take a walk, and it's hard enough coping with the footpaths or otherwise, without constantly having to decline offers of transport. I really love seeing the rice growing outside the window at the hotel: I could never get tired of that.

Love the aliveness of Balinese religion, too- it is more than a mere formality to the Balinese.

We also enjoy the plants- some of them are amazing, and quire a challenge to identify.

And of course, Babi Guling!

Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

I lvove everything about Ubud. It's my escape from the madness of the south!!!

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Byron Bay, Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Legian
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

Oops typo, should obviously be love!!!!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
7,800 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

I love the Ubud area, but rarely venure into the Monkey Forest Rd/Hanoman St block. Ubud is much, much more than that little congested tourist area.

staying in Nyuh Kuning village - quiet, not much traffic and very clean. Even like the odd visit from a monkey - peering in the window, or trying to steal my breakfast

driving around all over the place and constantly being surprised by the things we see.

Meeting local people going about their everyday business, watching them at the traditional markets in the early morning, or at a ceremony at a temple, or herding their ducks or a million other things.

Dislikes:

Apart from the dreaded buses - which we generally avoid by not driving through town between 9 and 4

my only other dislike is having to leave such a special place and know it will be a few months before I can return

Mentioned in this post
Ubud
Ubud
Bali, Indonesia
Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
348 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ubud Likes and dislikes of Ubud

I am in ubud right now ..well on my hotel balcony on nyuh kuning

I love having a massage and looking out onto ricefield or river gorge scenery

Love the restaurants....am a bit excited about what I found today....had lunch at ibu oka's sisters restaurant. You can get the Babi guling for 30,000 from ibu oka's without the crowds. It's right next door to three monkeys...shares same ricefield outlook.

Love getting back to nyuh kuning after mad traffic on m.f. Road.

Can't stand the buses and why I came in August I don't know!!!!