We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety concerns and general info !

Which Ubud hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Montreal
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Safety concerns and general info !

HI! My husband and i are planning atrip to Ubud ( staying at the Kupu Kupu Barong) and he is concerned with safety. How safe is Ubud? the airport at Denpassar? how does one get from the airport? are taxis safe, or is it like in Lima, where one should hire a driver?

also, any advice on finding cheap flights from LAX to Denpassar? and if anyone would like to comment on the Kupu Kupu ( plunge pool villa)..that would be great.

If an "expert" can also recommend things to do/see while in Ubud that would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thank you!

Fanny

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

You can taxi from the airport to Ubud or you can hire a driver. Generally, there are no safety concerns with taxi drivers in Bali.

See this recent post for rates from Denpassar to Ubud:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297701-i8984-k498…

For an Ubud based driver, my favourite is Nyoman Rusma.

For transport from the airport in Denpassar, or for tours outside of Ubud itself, you may wish to arrange your ride in advance by contacting my favourite driver "Nyoman Rusma" of "meta sari transport" (you call him "nyo/man"). He lives with his family in Ubud and is also a painter (artist). He won't try to sell you any paintings though, or even show them unless you ask him to. If you do, you may have the chance to catch a glimpse of local Balinese life in the process and meet some his very charming young children. You can contact Nyoman direct ((tel 081 2361 0391 fax 62-361-975073). Jade du and I both have had positive experiences with Nyoman. Another poster, Rishku, did not like him at all.

Two other drivers commonly recommended in this forum are:

Dean @ bali-dean@dps.centrin.net.id

www.balisbestdriver.com

and,

Putu Nastra @ Tel: +62 81 641 0849

For more about drivers in Bali, see this recent thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294226-i7220-k498…

For safety issues, read the threads available by using the Search function which is that little empty white box beside the Blue <GO> button on the tripadvisor page just above your post (on the right) and type in the word "safety". Lots to read there.

For things to do in Ubud, read this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297701-i8984-k442…

Asia
Level Contributor
4,187 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

Hi Rob!

I was hoping you'd reply to this post.

Montrealitgirl, Rob1 is the Ubud expert! ;-P

He's given you some great links.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

Thanks, Jade du ;)

Actually, I think Jade du really knows a lot more about Ubud than I do.

But I did neglect to state that, in terms of personal security from petty crime, Ubud is among the safest destinations in East Asia. Serious crime is virtually non-existant, and petty crime is reportedly rare. Although you should always maintain a personal awareness of what is going on about you, and it is just silly to be flashing large wads of cash anywhere in the world (or otherwise inviting pickpockets to try their luck with you), I do not think that you should feel at all uncomfortable during the day or evening walking about Ubud.

As for terrorism, bombings can happen in London or NYC, and the targets in Bali have been confined to places far from Ubud (and the victims have been almost solely innocent Balinese and not foreigners.)

Montreal
Level Contributor
23 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

THanks to both of you for all the info. My husband just wants to make sure...it is safe right now to travel there. As you said, right now, unfortunately, our planet has threats everywhere! soooo i hope i will convince him to go.

Any thoughts on Kupu Kupu Barong itself?

all my best,

F

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,360 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

Keep hoping someone would answer your Kupa Kupa questions; I don't know enough to be helpful there. Maybe post another question separately.

6. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:02 pm, June 04, 2006
Tokyo
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

thanks, it's very useful to me.

ro_s3
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

Hi Montrealitgirl,

Don't worry about bombing, terorism, or such violent things like that in Ubud. I have been there three times and everything is fine. Ubud is a part of Bali where it is famous for its strong Hindhu's culture and religion. You will feel the big difference between the hectic beach area in Bali and the calm countruside of Ubud.

I stayed in Kupu Kupu twice in their different villas with pools (they have one storey and two storey villas with pool). They have the closest location to Ubud Center compare to other 5* hotels in kedewatan. Plus, they provide the complimentary shuttle service from the hotel to Ubud Centre. However, you still need to pay additional cost for the airport transfer which is 1 hour distance from the hotel. Their villas, services, food and spa are excellent. The best villa for me is the one storey villa. However, two storey will be more spacious if you want to bring other person beside you and your husband. Dont forget to try their Mango Tree Spa. It is a very cute niche treatment room that truly located on the top of the treel. Try to make reservation around 5 o'clock (really pretty with the sunset) or in the morning. (great morning treat to refresh your body). For the restaurant, i had this special candlelight diner on the pond. It was a trulhy romantic diner i ever had in Bali and they served really good food, they made special decoration for the diner and i feel the absolute privacy (they only provide one table for this) .

Hope that helps.

9. Re: Safety concerns and general info !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:26 am, September 04, 2009