We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Ubud to Sanur

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Topic
Getting from Ubud to Sanur

I have 5 nights in Ubud before heading to Sanur for 5 nights. What is the best way to get to Sanur from Ubud? Do taxis run between them or do I find a driver and negotiate a price? What is a reasonable price for a taxi or a driver? Thanks.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,092 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

Try Permata bus company. They will pick you up at your hotel or guest house and take you to Sanur for a set price, much, much cheaper than hiring a driver. Taxis normally only come TO Ubud from the airport and do not stay there to take fares back to Sanur. There used to be a better bus service called Express Shuttle, but I have heard recently that they are out of business. Permata is the way to go now.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

There are no metered taxis in Ubud, but you will be asked 1,000's of times a day if you want transport while you are in Ubud. Choose one of these guys and work out a price. If you plan on travelling straight to Sanur with no stops for sightseeing, work on around 200.000rp for the transfer.

Sydney
Level Contributor
52 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

Like Whinnie said its very easy to get a driver. There are taxis available from the tour operators - they would charge 200,000 RP for Sanur and I would leave 90 minutes for a stress free journey. Otherwise you can negotiate - we paid 180,000 to go the airport and that's a little bit further. I really think that's the easiest options as it is door to door.

sydney
Level Contributor
189 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

We have used a driver to get to and for between ubud and sanur. I would happily give you his number but I think it's not allowed on trip advisor. Is this correct?

It is the most convenient way to get around. You can ask them to stop along the way or take a detour. Prices are negotiable.

sydney
Level Contributor
196 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

I stayed in Ubud last month. I got reception to organise a driver for me to go to Sanur when I was ready to go at reception. Like to move at my own pace thanks. One turned up in 10 mins. Cant remeber how much I paid.... I was alone and money wasnt a big priority. I think about 250? Maybe $20...I honestly cant remenber. You dont have tp plan in advance....who knows what you want when you are there!

Edited: 5:40 am, February 24, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
93 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

There are no taxis in Ubud. Just every man and his dog willing to take you anywhere for a price.

I think Whinnie and Jurluk are a bit generous with the 200k, and they themselves either very cashed up or generous to a fault. LOL

You can get all the way to the airport for 200k. I wouldn't pay anymore than 150k.

Think about it. If the going rate for a driver is roughly 50k per hour, and a half day tour (4 or 5 hours) is 250k then a 2 hour round trip for a driver to take you to Sanur and then get himself back to Ubud really should only cost you 100k.

In fact that's where I'd start my bidding, at 100k. He'll ask for 250, be firm and settle on 150k. He'll take it.

I'll be there in May and I'm doing the same as you, Ubud first and then down to Sanur. I'll re-test the theory and see if I can get someone down to 100k, just for the hell of it.

But seriously, 150k should do it.

Perth, Westoz
Level Contributor
462 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

We did this same trip a couple of weeks ago and were quoted between 120,000 and 150,000. We ended up hiring a driver to do a bit of running around in Ubud in the morning before taking us direct to Sanur in the afternoon and agree on 200,000 (AU$21). It's very quiet up there at the moment. I'm happy to send you his email and mobile contacts if you're interested.

Cheers

PK

Edited: 8:01 pm, February 24, 2012
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,761 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

Like everyone says don't stress, finding a driver in Bali is never a problem!

If your not comfortable getting a driver from the street, do as astrochichi says. It should be easy to negotiate with reception at your hotel to arrange a driver.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

Skiggy makes a good point but also consider that any driver taking you to Sanur in what will probably be the middle of the day, probably isn't going to be able to get another job that day, so whatever you pay him will probably be it for that day. His expenses don't decrease (car/hire payments etc), so the extra few dollars won't be wasted. There is nothing wrong with getting value for money, but I would hope that most people would consider the driver in this as well.

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,089 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting from Ubud to Sanur

Another point to consider, is that a "casual" driver found on the side of the road may be cheaper but is probably not licenced to carry tourists. And then there is the matter of insurances and the condition of their car.

We prefer to use recommended drivers who we feel confident with, and who we know look after their cars as well as their passengers. We have a couple of regular drivers, both very safe drivers and with excellent vehicles.

Really, an extra $5 is little extra to pay for peace of mind!