We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balinese dances

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Balinese dances

We would like to see Balinese dances. From the research I have done, there seems to be a variety of performances available in Ubud.

Which have you seen and recommend? Which performances are free?

Cheers

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balinese dances

Someone suggested having dinner and watching a performance at Laka Leke restaurant. Anyone been?

Alhaurin el Grande...
Level Contributor
855 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Balinese dances

I have seen four dance programs in Ubud, which seem to be performed on a regular basis:

(1) Joged dance b Cepuk Wirasa. Actually a series of seperate classical dances. For the last one, the Joged dance, spectators are invited to join. Ever Monday at 07:30pm, price Rp 80,000.

(2)Legong and Barong dance, by Sadha Buda Troupe. Legong and Barong are introductor, then follows Telek, a story on the battle between good and evil. Every Friday at 07:30pm at Ubud palace, price Rp 80,000.

(3) The Mahabarata Epic, performed at Ubud palace ever Sunday at 07:30pm, price Rp 50,000.

(4) Kecak and Fire dance Trena Jenggala at Padang Tegal. Lost my record of day and price.

So there is almost every day the possibility to see a dance performance in Ubud, but they are not free.

If you want a free performance, you might try your luck at a village festivity - when the dances are not intended for tourists.

Theo

Australia
Destination Expert
for Bali, Nusa Dua, Sanur, Tuban, Ubud
Level Contributor
13,938 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balinese dances

yes I have been to Laka Leke for dinner and dance performance. Been twice now. The performances have been very good and the food as well. Prices are very reasonable and on both occasions I have phoned them to arrange pick up from our hotels. It is a very good night out.

here is the link to their web site which lists what performances are on.

www.lakaleke.com/Perfomance/perfomance.php

there is also a menu with prices and an e mail address so you can e mail for reservation and enquiries. If you book via e mail I still suggest you phone them the day before your booking to re confirm.

I have also been to dance performances with dinner at cafe lotus in ubud. you are sitting back further from the stage. There is a charge for some tables, but if you book early enough they will give you a table that has no charge but still has a good view of the stage. check their web site for photos and more info as well.

lotus-restaurants.com/locations/…cafe-lotus

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balinese dances

Thanks theo1006 and Snookystraveltips, all that sounds fantastic!

I shall check out the websites provided. :)

Cheers

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
9,812 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balinese dances

There are more than 60 arts performances (gamelan, dancing, puppets, etc) in the Ubud area every week. The tourist information center puts out a list which you can pick up at their office at the main intersection (next to Ubud Market). Or call them at 973-285 for up to date info on where, when and prices. Most start between 7:30 and 8 pm and many have free pickup from the tourist info office. Cost between rp 50,000 to 80,000. (5 to 8 dollars) I much prefer to see them in the small village settings rather than at a dinner show that gets tour busses like the ones at Ubud Palace or Laka Leke. Particular favorites of mine are the giant bamboo (jegog) and the Legong at Pura Dalem Ubud, Saturday evenings. You just buy the ticket from one of the sellers walking around or at the gates of the event. If you buy from the freelances sellers they get a commission and the price is the same.

Or if timing is right you might catch one at a temple.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
7,168 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balinese dances

Thanks ubudpuppy, we will look into getting a performance schedule from the tourist information centre.

7. Re: Balinese dances

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 23, 2012