We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hand Luggage and duty free Sanur and Puri Santrian

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albany
6 posts
Save Topic
Hand Luggage and duty free Sanur and Puri Santrian

We are off to Sanur for 2 weeks holiday. Leaving from Perth airport. Does anyone know what hand luggage we can take on board..??eg camera..duty free booze etc..??? We were in Bali (Kuta ) about a year ago ,..and I remember thinking Im never coming back because the locals just hassled us so much ..it drove us nuts. Hoping Sanur would be better this trip....Any comments would be appreciated. We are stayng at the Puri Santrian (beach wing)..anyone been there lately...is it a good hotel..??????

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hand Luggage and duty free Sanur and Puri Santrian

I'm afraid I can't really comment on the duty free part as I am from England, but as for the Puri Santrian I can't recommend it enough! We too did not like Kuta as it was too busy and not really our idea of fun, but as for Sanur we love it. We've been to Sanur 4 times and this year we decided to try the Puri Santrian and stayed in the beach wing. It was fantastic the rooms were light cool and airy and close proximity to the pool and beach. The staff at the hotel were always smiling and ready to help you whenever you needed it.

I would personally rate this as a 5 star hotel though many brochures only rate it as a 3 star.

The ggod thing abotu the Puri Santrian is its location. You can walk out and go to many restaturant s which are cheaper than the hotel.

Hopefully you'll enjoy it too

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,381 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hand Luggage and duty free Sanur and Puri Santrian

The hawkers can be annoying and hate to say it but some are worse due to the downturn in tourists.

I find sometimes that tourists give mixed messages. ie saying no while looking at their goods.

If you are really not shopping at that time smile,

say "Tidak mau" or "tak mau" (tahk mow- as in cow) then look straight ahead and keep walking. It just means- don't want. Don't say you'll look laster because every time you walk past they will hound you.

My first few trips I would wear old Bali stuff from last trip and say that and they thought I spoke Indonesian and I obviously wasn't on my first trip.

My friends now make me walk in front when going in markets etc. LOL

Sanur will be quieter than Kuta.

It used to be a lot worse about 5 years ago before they licenced the sellers. There were a dozen every few feet with watches, perfumes, hats, wallets etc.

Hope you have a great trip. Puri Santrian sounds wonderful.

Bali
Level Contributor
535 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hand Luggage and duty free Sanur and Puri Santrian

You can take anything as a hand luggage as far as it's not consider as a weapon. They'll ask you to keep a Swiss Army knife with the pilot then you could get it back on your destination.

It's the size of the hand luggage that matters, so you couldn't take the surfing board. They normally have a kind of a box at the check in area where you can check the size of your hand luggage. Just put inside your bag and if it slides in, then it's okay to bring in onboard, but if it's too bulky then you have to check them in. If it slides in but a little bit too long, then it's okay too.

Most Singapore Airlines counter has this box.

Hope this helps and hope you can handle the locals better this time.

4. Re: Hand Luggage and duty free Sanur and Puri Santrian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 pm, August 20, 2009