We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Which Sanur hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
713 posts
100 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Hello everyone

1) Where in Sanur can i get good and not too expensive seafood? Either by the beach dining or in a normal restaurant for dinner? What are the good ones now?

2) Also, the food being mentioned in most forums are between balinese & western. I was wondering if there are other authentic indoneian foods to be savoured in Sanur. Cuisnes from Java, Manado, Sulawesi etc. I know Mila's cafe serves good Javanese. Any others you can help with?

Thank you. Am sooo excited..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Kesumas on the beach in South Sanur does very good, cheap local seafood. It's a few hundred metres past the Mercure on the beach path, heading south (water on your left).

For Indonesian Food try Warung Parhyangan: Not much more than a stall on the footpath. You will probably be the only non-locals there and almost definately the only non-indonesian. Very, very cheap, authentic food. Some menu items you would have to dare me to order.......but everything we have ever ordered has been delicious. No western food at all on the menu. Follow Tamblingan to the very end past the statue in the road, keep going straight to the very end of Jl Cemara. At the T intersection it is to your right, literally on the footpath behind roll down shades. If they have it, try the goat meat menu items, yummy. ON the corner of Jl Cemara and Jl Sudamala.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
713 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Thank you Whinnie.

Are you a resident of Sanur? How is it like living in Bali? You retired? Or do you do smth there to keep yrself occupied?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

No, I'm not a resident but a very regular visitor, 3 or 4 times a year and for 3 months at a time on one occasion.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
921 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Was recommended this warung a couple of weeks back by cempaka will give it a crack in august staying at taksu nearby, agree with kesumas as well👍😁

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
713 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

So i suppose JImbaran would be the place to go to eh...for good seafood?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Ahhhh, no! It's the place to go for the expensive seafood. Kesumas cooks their seafood the same way at a quarter of the price. You just have to order lobster, if you want it, a day ahead.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
713 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Cool. But how come there are no reviews on the resto on TR?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
12,336 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Probably because it doesn't have a proper address. When it started Kesumas was actually sqatting and didn't have a lease or an address.

Singapore
Level Contributor
269 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

The Paket C for 2 pax at 420k we had at Lia Cafe at Jimbaran Bay was pretty good - still juicy & not dry despite being grilled - consists of lobster [good-sized ones served to us], crab [too tiny !], prawns [10+5 medium sized ones - we had the clams in the package exchanged for 5 more prawns - served with 3 sauces but not really needed] + 1 of the 2 Bintangs changed to a young coconut - didn’t touch the rice nor kangkung vegey at all

There are other pakets/packages and also a-la-carte

Found prices at Lia Cafe very reasonable as it’s non-commissionable to the taxi/tour-drivers

If going, do reserve a front-row table and be there by 5.30pm for the sunset …..

To compensate for the small-size of the crabs - recommend strongly Indo-National at Jl Padma for the cheap Aussie mud crabs with huge pincers at around $10+ only - love the flavours Natural & Garlic out of their 5 flavours best - BUT NOT Indonesian as Aussie-owned & done Aussie-style …..

But BEST Iced Coffee there too !

The specialities at Indo-National are their lobsters [around $30] and their crabs {$10}.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,009 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seafood & Other authentic indonesian cuisine

Joanna it looks like you're trying to plug Lia Cafe, at any occasion. Are you trying to get a discount out of them ??

Don't be mistaken I love going to Lia Cafe probably one of my all time favorites in Bali, I visit them quite a lot.

Sinayas, an Indonesian restaurant in Kuta just off Sunset Road I like a lot is Mang Engking - Bale Udang. If you are ever around this area check them out.

Their website gives you an idea, it's quite nice around diner around the fish pond.