We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car with driver, what to expect.

southampton
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car with driver, what to expect.

Been reading in these forums about having a car for a day with a driver.

For what I can see it cost around the 400,000 to 500,000 mark.

This seems very good value if you think how much it cost to just hire a car here.

How does it work exactly.

If you just want to explore, like we do, do you just ask the driver to go where you want to go, then, say if you pass a beach and want to stop for a few hours, you do, and the driver waits for you?

Then on your way back, you pass a bar or shops, does he just wait for you?

Thanks in advance

Tim

Edited: 1:41 pm, July 18, 2013
Ballina, Australia
Destination Expert
for Pemuteran, Bali
Level Contributor
7,833 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

Hi cliffsouthampton, You have placed this in the Sanur forum so I assume that is where you will stay. You can ask for recommendations for a driver on the forum and email him to get a quote. You can also arrange a driver once you are in Sanur. There is no shortage of them.

You should have a general idea of where you want to go or what you want to see. Let the driver know so he can estimate the petrol in his quote. Yes, you can ask the driver to stop if you see a beach you want to spend time at or a restaurant you want to eat at. He will wait for you. Just be clear in your dealings with the driver how many hours his quote is for. Full day can be from 8 -10 hours, it varies with different drivers.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
849 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

Being your driver for the day they will take you wherever you want e.g stopping off at a bar for something to eat etc , my driver who I always use if I stop for food or to have a drink he will join me :-)

Level Contributor
24 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

hi, we were in bali (family of 4) and hired a driver for a day trip. He was recommended to us by a friend and he was awsome. we were picked up from kuta and taken to a wild life park for the day. he walked around with us and because he had been there SO MANY times, he knows which things to see first to avoid the crowds. we paid $50AUD for a 8am pick up and 5pm drop off. great value. if you want his details, let me know.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

HI

I am going to Bali in few weeks. Would love the recommendation details for the driver. You can PM me or post here. Thanks!

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

TheRussianinOz...you're talking about the wonderful Sanny i guess. If so, a big tick from me. Just a heads up though, he's raised his prices a bit, day trip up from 450,000rp to 500,000rp as a consequence of the fuel price rise.

Wollongong...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

Just make sure they are registered guides with insurance , as most travel insurance companies won't cover you in-case of an accident.

southampton
Level Contributor
74 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

Many thanks for all the replies.

It is just the two of us, and normally I would hire a car and explore, but after posting a question on this forum about that, and given it some thought we have decided on the driver route. (pardon the pun!).

Normally we like to leave 9 ish and return about 3 ish, so well with-in the 8 or so hours.

I now have some idea of how the systm works, just make sure you agree with the driver before hand, where roughly you are going and a price.

If anyone can send me a pm with recomendation of a driver, that would be great.

Thanks Again

Tim

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

Maybe it's a stupid question but who pays the drivers entry into safari park,etc? Or lunch, drinks, etc?

coffs harbour...
Destination Expert
for Tulamben, Lovina Beach
Level Contributor
6,875 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

Petunia, we use driver Sanny. He is a registered guide and is therefore allowed into the Safari Park for free and his lunch is also provided by the park. When he took us, we bought him a cold drink when we had one, otherwise there was no additional cost for him to show us around for as long as we wanted.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car with driver, what to expect.

That's a great idea. A good incentive for the driver's to promote a place. Thanks for the info.